Shift shaft and shift link problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift shaft and shift link problem

So I drop my lower unit to service water pump. After everything done I reinstalled the lower unit. Went to ramp to make sure it pump water and shift in and out gear. Water pump water great. Now the problem. When shifting in reverse it make a knocking sound but give a gas the knocking sound goes away. No it not prop chatter . It never made the knocking sound prior servicing the water pump.
    This lead me to believe the shift shaft and shift link are off by 1 teeth. How do I get the shift shaft and shift link to align when installing the lower unit . I drop the lowe unit 3 time today trying to figure it out . This 1st time it giving me problem. Last time I did the water pump was 3 years ago never had this problem.
    Engine 2017 F150 XB
    Last edited by Offshore_life; 12-22-2023, 09:59 PM.

hard to say since no one but you knows what motor you have.

Comment

Sorry it’s 2017 Yamaha F150XB

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        hard to say since no one but you knows what motor you have.
        Sorry I forgot to add it 2017 Yamaha F150 XB

Comment

with the lower unit off I would put both the motor and controls in neutral, and make sure they are in neutral and then put the lower back on

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            with the lower unit off I would put both the motor and controls in neutral, and make sure they are in neutral and then put the lower back on
            I will try it again in the morning . The motor and con*****er are both in neutral . Could be when I installed the lower unit I wiggle it and slightly turn it left and right until it slide in . That could possible cause the shift shaft and shift link to misalign .

Comment

disconnect the cable from the shift mechanism on the motor.
              to make sure that is in the proper detent position in neutral and also the lower unit.
              I have seen people miss adjust the cables causing a clicking sound before, but that is not common.
              brothers C60 had a twisted shift shaft and bent pin from someone trying to force the lower into reverse while not running.
              at least that is the only way I could think that would have happened.

Comment

Are you pulling up on the driveshaft when installing the collar and spacer?

Capture.JPG
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  Are you pulling up on the driveshaft when installing the collar and spacer?

Capture.JPG
                  I forgot all about that causing a knocking noise on some of those motors
                  , lets hope that is what he has going on and it is an easy fix.
                  A pic of the tool might help also if he does not have the service manual
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 12-23-2023, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks all member for helping me. I drop the lower unit and took the water pump apart . I must not pull the drive shaft up when I was installing the impeller. That was the problem there was thousandth of an inch play on drive shaft. After pull up on drive shaft while assembling the water pump . Reinstalled the lower unit went to test the knocking was gone .Perviously The drive shaft must been bounding up and down when in gear causing a knocking sound. Thanks for the help.
                    Last edited by Offshore_life; 12-23-2023, 08:44 PM.

Comment

good to hear that fixed it

Comment

For the "special tool", I just use an open wrench just large enough to fit over the retainer.

Just rotate the shaft, while lifting and tapping down (striking lightly with a hammer) on the end of the wrench...

Glad it was an easy fix..

BTW, that knocking won't hurt anything (per Rodbolt), just annoying...

Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                        X