• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX 66 - starting - stator

2000 Yamaha OX 66
    2 stroke
    250 hp
    SX 250 TXRY

CAN A WEAK STATOR - REGULATOR - cause tuff starting , no enough juice too ignite spark ?

learning , posting as I go ,

Going from a good running fast start too a engine that wont start easily ,

OB new too me coming from IOs -

multi meter while engine running 12.5 volts , throttle up no change

Hard starting hot & cold - eventually starts , wont restart easily

starboard side 3 cylinder no spark ( found two bullet connectors with corrosion making no contact ) Now have spark all 6 cylinders Coincidence ????? or intermittent issue ,CDI, - related too stator ?

120 compression on all 6

3 newYamaha low pressure pumps ( leak on 2 ) figured that was my cause of hard starting , No change

VST tank drained multiple times too clean , tested days apart , fuel level remained same in VST ( previous owner produced invoice from a shop , VST cleaning , completed month prior too my purchase
    Obviously he had starting issues

removed bottom hose of fuel rail , turned key ,fuel coming out , re-installed did same with top , fuel pumping out , FUEL coming all around just not firing

PSI gauge - 34-36 lbs - purged air over & over , , air bubbles did come out - did start after shutting multiple times , did not do this prior too purging fuel system

using a 12 volt tester Injectors have power on all 6 when key on

With extensive cranking I am not smelling fuel ( little smell )

DON'T know if injectors pulsing fuel , do fuel injectors have something electrical external or within CDI ?

12.5 volts not enough too start ?? while cranking I have auto battery charger putting 13.5 ,

COULD ALL OF THE ABOVE BE RELATED TOO STATOR NOT PRODUCTING ENOUGH POWER TOO OPERATE ELECTRICAL CREATE STONG ENGOUH SPARK TOO FIRE ENGINE

The lighting coil function of the stator coil assembly and the voltage regulator have no bearing on the starting and running of the motor. The function of these components is to charge a battery.

It is the charge coil portion of the stator coil assembly that provides voltage to the CDI box. The CDI box applies that voltage to the ignition coils at the proper time.

Has the charge coil output voltage been tested? Bad input to the CDI results in bad output from the CDI.

If the charge coil voltage to the CDI box is good has the output voltage to the ignition coils been tested? Bad output to the igntion coils will result in a bad output from the ignition coils.

Comment

did not try starting since yesterday evening

Key on off many times , remained zero , more times I turned key on position then off , little by little fuel pressure increased , last reading 25 psi
      just went back letting it sit 5 minutes while I post ,
      cranking engine psi did not go up past 25
      yesterday pumping away fuel pump increased pressure too 35 were it operated all day, still was tuff starting but when it did psi was 35 , running or not psi was 35

- bad fuel pump ?? system should remain same as closed ??

thnk I am getting closer too one of my issues

Comment

Are you chasing an ignition issue or a fuel pressure issue?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Are you chasing an ignition issue or a fuel pressure issue?
          seems he asked questions about something but never answers the questions we ask about what he was talking about.
          and then asks questions about something totally different.
          I am not even sure he reads what others write.
          Last edited by 99yam40; 10-24-2023, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpaw View Post
            2000 Yamaha OX 66
            2 stroke
            250 hp
            SX 250 TXRY

CAN A WEAK STATOR - REGULATOR - cause tuff starting , no enough juice too ignite spark ?

learning , posting as I go ,

Going from a good running fast start too a engine that wont start easily ,

OB new too me coming from IOs -

multi meter while engine running 12.5 volts , throttle up no change

Hard starting hot & cold - eventually starts , wont restart easily

starboard side 3 cylinder no spark ( found two bullet connectors with corrosion making no contact ) Now have spark all 6 cylinders Coincidence ????? or intermittent issue ,CDI, - related too stator ?

120 compression on all 6

3 newYamaha low pressure pumps ( leak on 2 ) figured that was my cause of hard starting , No change

VST tank drained multiple times too clean , tested days apart , fuel level remained same in VST ( previous owner produced invoice from a shop , VST cleaning , completed month prior too my purchase
            Obviously he had starting issues

removed bottom hose of fuel rail , turned key ,fuel coming out , re-installed did same with top , fuel pumping out , FUEL coming all around just not firing

PSI gauge - 34-36 lbs - purged air over & over , , air bubbles did come out - did start after shutting multiple times , did not do this prior too purging fuel system

using a 12 volt tester Injectors have power on all 6 when key on

With extensive cranking I am not smelling fuel ( little smell )

DON'T know if injectors pulsing fuel , do fuel injectors have something electrical external or within CDI ?

12.5 volts not enough too start ?? while cranking I have auto battery charger putting 13.5 ,

COULD ALL OF THE ABOVE BE RELATED TOO STATOR NOT PRODUCTING ENOUGH POWER TOO OPERATE ELECTRICAL CREATE STONG ENGOUH SPARK TOO FIRE ENGINE
            You need to TEST a system....pick one fuel or ignition. Get the service manual and read it. To test the ignition system, as Boscoe already gave you the basics of, you will need a DVA adapter for your multimeter. You can go CDI electronics web site and get DVA adapter and information on your engines ignition and charging tests.

You already have a fuel pressure gauge by the sounds of it, but reading manual and testing the fuel system you will learn how it works. Then come here to get help with the results of the tests for help.

Comment

quote "Going from a good running fast start too a engine that wont start easily". upon arrival to favorite fishing spot, do not turn engine immediately, let it run in idle for couple minutes to cool down. it helps to restart later on. follow repair manual procedure for fuel adjustment. with electricity OK, it looks to me like fuel problem, rather lack of it. if before you had I/O (carb?), this is different. you need service manual.

Comment

Working...
              X