Speedi-Sleeve on drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedi-Sleeve on drive shaft

Hello to all. New to the forum. I've been researching the use of Speedi-Sleeve on my 25 MSH motor in which the drive shaft has worn in the areas where the 2 seals sit below the pump. Water in entering my lower unit. In reading the installation instructions on the website, it states, not to be installed over splines. I can see leaving it at the splines causing it not to perfectly round, but do they mean not to slide it over splines which might deform the sleeve before its final location on the shaft itself. Has anyone here installed a sleeve like I'm thinking about doing. Any insight would be appreciated. My other option is to try to place the new seals away from the worn areas if there is enough room to do so to see if that stops water from getting into the lower unit. Thanks.

is the splined area larger than shaft sealing surface on your motor?
    do you think you can find a sleeve the proper size for this?
    and If you do how do you plan on driving it on there?
    it will take a very long tube the exact right size

Comment

It appears the splined diameter is the same as the solid shaft. They have a seal that's pretty close to the shaft tolerance. I will make a custom tube long enough to get the 1 or 2 sleeves in the right area.

Comment

my C40TLRX has a raised area(sleeve) where the seals ride on the shaft.
        It is a lot thicker than a speedy sleeves,
        I guess you have already checked yours out with a mic to make sure what size would be needed

Comment

They make the sleeves up to 8 inches from what I understand.

Comment

I just asked if you measured your shaft properly, so you know what size to try and buy.
            most of the time you sand or machine down the surface to get a smooth surface and make sure the sleeve fits
            and make sure you use a sealent under it do it does not leak thru there also

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

I'm familiar with Speedi Sleeves in the sense that I know what they are and how they work and have a friend or two that has used them - but personally, I have no experience with them. I can, however, understand your concern about the splines issue. Would heating the sleeve help? Meaning, it would slightly expand when it gets got. I think you'd have to work very quickly as it certainly wouldn't stay hot very long given how thin it is. But gently heating it with a torch as you go might work? It would heat up a lot faster than the driveshaft. I suspect you're going to buy more sleeves than you need - might be worthwhile to give the heat a shot.

That said, I wonder if I'm overthinking this. The tops of the splines shouldn't be large in diameter than the smooth portion, right? Maybe just some grease is all that is needed. Maybe just give the top edges of the splines a light sand - just to make sure that top edge doesn't have a bur or is slightly rounded over (high).
                2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

they recommend not use heat

Comment

You would heat it in hot oil! it will expand evenly , and drop right on. As long that it is the correct size. Never tap one on !

Comment

Working...
                    X