1990 prov 150 trottle/shift problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 prov 150 trottle/shift problem

I was out on the water yesterday and the motor was running fine until I got the the first no wake zone. I started to slow down and I couldn't get the motor to go into neutral and I kept moving at around 1700 rpm. I turned off the motor and it shifted through the gears fine. Started the motor back up and it shot up to 3000rpms, so I shut it back down. After messing with the controls i got everything working properly until I went to load it in the trailer and the issues started again.

The cables and contrils are less than a year old, so I hope its not that, but I haven't had a chance to go through everything. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Look for something that has fallen down into the linkage and binding things up, but I do not see how that would cause RPM to go up like you stated.

Just need to inspect to see what you can see to start out with to eliminate the easy stuff

Comment

The difficulty shifting out of gear is a function of excessive RPM. So, you need to focus on the throttle function. Fix the throttle issue and the hard out of gear shift will solve itself.

Maybe remove the throttle cable from the throttle connection point. Manually advance the throttle and see if it returns of its own accord back to the idle position each time. Check the throttle cable to make sure it is installed correctly and the throttle cable retainer is properly secured.

Your motor has a push to open throttle. So, if and when you pull back on the throttle cable it should force the throttle to close. Unless something is binding or is broken. Or not attached properly.

Comment

Thank you for the replies, this is the strangest thing.

Ok, I checked the cables and they seem to be working properly, and the cable retainers are properly secured, but that was in the driveway with the engine not running. When I was out on the water the only time I had shifting issues is when it was running.

Could there be a problem with the controls? The motor seems to act and feel like the fast idle button is pressed in. Is that something that fails, or does it have an adjustment? I have 704 top mount controls. I bought the controls and the cables brand new a little over a year ago.

Comment

I'd put it on rabbit ears with the water on. Crank up the engine and have a friend shift to forward, reverse, throttle (in neutral, etc) etc while you watch the linkage at the engine.

You can also disconnect both cables at the engine and again, have a friend shift the control forward and reverse and see if the cables go in and out as they should. If they don't, you know its in the box.

I'm assuming the shifter/throttle cables ARE SECURED to the engine itself and didn't pop out, loose a retainer, etc..

As noted above, its more likely to be a throttle cable issue...

And actually, you can shift the throttle into neutral, OUT of gear-(so you can rev the engine in neutral) and see how it performs, IE does the engine linkage move as designed???
          The engine doesn't have to be running for that check (Just DON'T shift into gear and damage something)
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Just wanted to update with my issues in case anyone else runs into this problem.

The roller on the carburetor had a flat spot on it, so when I would throttledown it would slide on the flat spot and not let the rpms come down fully.

New $6 cam roller and its back to 100%.

Happy it was an easy fix.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Acraft0825 View Post
              Just wanted to update with my issues in case anyone else runs into this problem.

The roller on the carburetor had a flat spot on it, so when I would throttledown it would slide on the flat spot and not let the rpms come down fully.

New $6 cam roller and its back to 100%.

Happy it was an easy fix.

Thanks for everyone's replies.
              Thanks for your feedback, it would be appreciated by many. Good to hear that you found the problem, inexpensively fixed, before you smashed your lower unit.

Comment

Working...
              X