Cleaning the power head 1992 40 hp 2 stroke Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the power head 1992 40 hp 2 stroke Yamaha

Hello everyone, I purchased this outboard three years ago. After replacing the complete fuel system and all new parts in the carburetors I got it going.
    I had watched a YouTube video and instead of asking for advice I washed the power head by spraying an engine degreaser some light scrubbing with a paint brush and rinsed with a gentle spray of water. I had blocked off the off the intake of the silencer for the carburetors. I waited about 5 minutes then starting the engine Kat it warm up to completely dry it. After it cooled I coated everything but the carburetors with Fluid Film.

The motor stayed pristine looking for all this time. And was starting to look like it needs it again. Then I went night fishing the other night and my stern light (getting a taller anti glare) sits beside it and now it’s covered with dead bugs.

My question is did I do this properly the first time or did I just get lucky? I’d like to find out Yamaha’s recommended procedures?

I’m freshwater only. Which brings me to one more question. I have known way of knowing how many previous owners had it or if has seen saltwater.
    When I got it the one of the first things I did was noticed the thermostat gasket still had original paint on it along with the other gaskets. When I took off the thermostat housing the first bolt twisted off with little pressure from a 1/4” ratchet. I felt sick wondering what else.
    The second bolt was fine and all others seem good when I checked their torque.

The thermostat was ugly and I saw some buil

Don't know exactly what you're are asking. I use LPS 2 to coat engine...carbs and all. Fluid film is what my cars get every year here in the land of rust.
    Broken bolts are always a problem with a old outboard..fresh water or salt.

Comment

Working...
    X