New oil pump installed. Output testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New oil pump installed. Output testing

I got an older 70hp 2 stroke 1995. A small amount of Water was in the oil tank so I replaced the oil pump. The instructions say to run on premix and disconnect the oil pump linkage and move it clockwise( towards the back of the motor to measure output. When I do that what I’m assuming is WOT for the oil pump and not much oil is coming out however if I move the oil pump lever back to idle position I have a lot more flow. There is no bleed screw on the oil pump. I cleaned out all the oil lines.

For now I don’t trust it and will run premix. I’ve got new check valves on order.

Am I doing something wrong??

I would think it should be spring loaded to go WOT if the linkage came apart.
    are you sure you have the correct manual for your motor?

Comment

those testing absolutely useless, and we never can do it right. need a lot of priming to eliminate air and something else - no need to test it, if assembled right. just assemble it, connect all tubes and without starting prime it. you may sprinkle some oil into cylinders. disconnect longest oil delivery hose to check is oil flowing, but it actually very little, as we do it at idle speed or low speed. nothing wrong to run premix along with oil pump until you are sure everything is ok. don't forget ring free - all carbon just flow away in exhaust. I adjust oil pump to be opened a little - it says completely closed, touched stop, but my have like 1/16", I feel better this way.

Comment

99yam I think I didn’t let it run long enough. At idle position on oil pump I’m getting alot of oil.I set it straight to WOT on the oil pump when trying to bleed it. I’m going to run it on premix for 6 gallons.

Thanks to both of you all for responding.

how much oil should I use on 6 gallons on fuel? Trying to determine the right amount it should go down in the oil tank.

Comment

Originally posted by fshndad View Post

how much oil should I use on 6 gallons on fuel? Trying to determine the right amount it should go down in the oil tank.

There really is no set amount. As you noted with the oil pump being connected to the carbs, it is a variable amount depending on what throttle you run at. If I remember right.. at WOT it should be around 50:1. at idle it is closer to 80:1-100:1. so it all depends on operating conditions as to the amount of oil flow.

With only 6 gallons I doubt you will see a measurable oil use in the onboard tank.

Comment

Mark the level on the tank and see if it drops.

at 50 to one at wide open throttle you should use 1 once for every 50 Oz of gas burned.
            there are 128 oz in a gallon, so you might be able to figure that out if ran around a WOT most of the time.

service manual should give you some info on CCs used in a certain time period when capturing oil from one line with the oil link at WOT
            Last edited by 99yam40; 10-13-2023, 02:23 PM.

Comment

I’ll take note. I ran it for about 5 mins. Still notice more oil dripping at idle vs at WOT on the oil pump at 1500rpm. Going to run a few gallons and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
              X