Yamaha ring free plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha ring free plus

How many of you use this product? It's costly but seems to be worth it. What's your opinion?

Ring Free

Hi i use Ringfree every 150hrs only because yamaha strongly recommend that it should be used on the modern day four stroke?? especially the bigger ones like my F300, yes its dear and i can only hope its doing something good for my engine??

Comment

Best product on the market, and I use it religiously.

Comment

The newer Ringfree Plus has an additional fuel stabilizer in it to sorta take the place of Stabil....I've used Ringfree for years in my older 2 stroke motor with good results....I do believe that Ringfree is more essential to 2 strokes than it is for newer 4 stroke motors. Last Ringfree I bought was $57/quart, but at normal dosages it's not that expensive...especially compared to stuck rings/repairs...

Comment

I run it religiously/regularly in EVERY GAS ENGINE I own. Car, motorcycle, mower, boat, yard equipment, etc.

That and a good stabilizer W/O Ethanol in the boat.

I've had many cases with an engine that barely ran, putting in 2-3x's the recommended dose of RF and it fixed the problem. IE, my 2001, Four-runner with 16K miles had the idle slowly rise over time(dirty injectors. Ran RF heavy in maybe two tanks, idle dropped back down from approx 850 to 650 RPMs without doing ANYTHING ELSE.. Normal...

Is it expensive, somewhat...

How much would you pay a shop to clean your injectors, mower carb, etc??? A whole lot more than a bottle of RF...

RF is WAY cheaper OVERALL by keeping the fuel system clean and the engine running top notch...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
            The newer Ringfree Plus has an additional fuel stabilizer in it to sorta take the place of Stabil....
            We need to be sure to correct this statement when made lest there be unintended consequences of not treating fuel before storage or when using ethanol laced fuel. Ring Free Plus does not contain a fuel stabilizer. Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer and Conditioner Plus does contain a stabilizer as its name implies. Below is a link to a Yamaha flyer that explains both products.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/def...Fuel_Flyer.pdf

Ray

Comment

I use 1 oz of RFP per 10 gallons of Valvetech treated gas at every fill-up. Nothing else. So far, so good with my F300.

Comment

FWIW my servicing dealer strongly suggests Ring Free+ and Starbrite Startron enzyme based fuel additive. He says 70% of his service work is fuel related. I measure it out religiously in 6 gal. cans, at the recommended dosages.
                As an added measure, when I winterize I use Starbrite "Easy To Store-Easy to Start" in my fuel system. I've done this for the past four years, and each spring the motor starts and runs like it has fresh fuel.
                Motor is VX150TLRY 2000 150HP OX66. Last fall my dealer did a leak down test and he said he could pull a dozen new motors off the floor and not get as good results as he got on my motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                  FWIW my servicing dealer strongly suggests Ring Free+ and Starbrite Startron enzyme based fuel additive. He says 70% of his service work is fuel related. I measure it out religiously in 6 gal. cans, at the recommended dosages.
                  As an added measure, when I winterize I use Starbrite "Easy To Store-Easy to Start" in my fuel system. I've done this for the past four years, and each spring the motor starts and runs like it has fresh fuel.
                  Motor is VX150TLRY 2000 150HP OX66. Last fall my dealer did a leak down test and he said he could pull a dozen new motors off the floor and not get as good results as he got on my motor.
                  thats because a new motor that has not been broken in will always leak more that one that has the rings seated...

Comment

Would be interesting to see compression/leak down pressure values for a brand new motor versus the same motor after it has maybe 100 hours time on it.

Maybe the same test for a motor that is "making oil" and then the test repeated after the motor stops making oil, to see if and how much the values have changed.

Unfortunately, most tests are only performed if and when someone suspects there is a problem.

Comment

Use Chevron Techron. It's the same stuff.

Comment

Yamaha Ring Fee is similar to Techron and Techron Concentrate. The main deposit control additive is the same. Techron and Techron concentrate are designed for automotive four-stroke engines as a deposit control additive. Yamaha Ring Free is formulated specifically for two-stroke engines, and is not marketed by Chevron.

The amount of Techron that is in Chevron gasolines should be beneficial for two cycle engines. All Chevron grades of gasoline contain Techron.

Good, quality, detergent cleansing action will be realized with Chevron gasoline in your engine without any concern.

Techron Concentrate Plus fuel additive is not recommended for 2-cycle engines, which require oil to be mixed with the gasoline. This is because the very high level of Techron in Techron Concentrate may possibly interact with additives in the oil that is added to the gasoline. In practice, this is very unlikely to occur.

Regards,

ChevronTexaco Fuels Technical Service

Comment

Originally posted by mrpontoon View Post
                          Yamaha Ring Fee is similar to Techron and Techron Concentrate. The main deposit control additive is the same. Techron and Techron concentrate are designed for automotive four-stroke engines as a deposit control additive. Yamaha Ring Free is formulated specifically for two-stroke engines, and is not marketed by Chevron.

The amount of Techron that is in Chevron gasolines should be beneficial for two cycle engines. All Chevron grades of gasoline contain Techron.

Good, quality, detergent cleansing action will be realized with Chevron gasoline in your engine without any concern.

Techron Concentrate Plus fuel additive is not recommended for 2-cycle engines, which require oil to be mixed with the gasoline. This is because the very high level of Techron in Techron Concentrate may possibly interact with additives in the oil that is added to the gasoline. In practice, this is very unlikely to occur.

Regards,

Many of us have four stroke Yamahas. Would Chevron Techron be suitable for those engines?

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by mrpontoon View Post

Regards,

The highlighted statement implies that Yamaha Ring Free is manufactured by Chevron or by the same company that makes Techron. Is that true?

It also sounds like Techron was never tested on 2 stroke outboard engines so the results of using it on a 2 stroke are unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpontoon: "Yamaha Ring Free is formulated specifically for two-stroke engines, and is not marketed by Chevron."

To be clear, on the front of the Ring Free Plus bottle are the words "in two and four stroke engines" so whatever the purpose of the original Ring Free product, the current product is marketed by Yamaha as appropriate for two stroke AND FOUR STROKE engines.

Ray
                              Last edited by RayBersch; 12-11-2015, 11:59 AM. Reason: add "four stroke" which was originally intended

Comment

Working...
                              X