Lower Unit Leak (water)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Leak (water)

F300 (manufactured in Dec. 2021) with 275 hours.

Yesterday, I changed the gear oil after 88 hours and observed a bit of water in the outgoing fluid.

New YamaLube Gear Oil is in it now.

Should I yank the Lower now for a seal replacement? Or can I wait another 50+ hours?
    I commercial fish so I want to limit interruption to my business.

Curious what you think. Thank you
    Grady-White 330 Express

seal replacement or possible soon lower unit replacement

Comment

Thanks. I guess that leak is significant enough to warrant immediate repair... I thought I could go at least another 50 hours.
      Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

I hate to Hijack your post and I don't mean to but I am new here and I can't see where I can create my own. Since this is about lower units I though I could add this, sorry I hope you don't mind. I think we are both going to have to replace the lower unit so we may need the same answer. I have a 2005 F200 V6 and I am sure my gearbox is done. I get up to 4k and it seems like the clutch slips and the engine revs way up and I lose forward motion. Anyone have a suggestion on where to get a rebuild?

Comment

That doesn't look terrible. But a safe assumption is that you'll get water in there again... the big question is will it seep in at the same rate as before or get worse? It doesn't usually slow down

How did the screw washers/seals look? Maybe one just wasn't tight enough?
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

SSCape,

In no way do I think I need to replace my Lower Unit.

To Post a New topic > > > You click on the BLUE "+ New Topic" Button on the left side...
            Last edited by HMBJack; 09-29-2023, 12:08 PM.
            Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Thank you Dennis,

I closely examined the washers on my vent and fill and noted no doubling up or split washers.
              Those two seals were tight (~1/4 turn after hand tight).

This probably happened this Summer with a braid fishing line wrap on the prop shaft (not sure).

Either way, a lower unit seal kit has been ordered and I'll have it repaired (under warranty) soon.

By the looks of the oil, I don't think it lost much of it's lubricity. New YamaLube in it now.
              Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Originally posted by HMBJack View Post
                F300 (manufactured in Dec. 2021) with 275 hours.

Yesterday, I changed the gear oil after 88 hours and observed a bit of water in the outgoing fluid.

New YamaLube Gear Oil is in it now.

Should I yank the Lower now for a seal replacement? Or can I wait another 50+ hours?
                I commercial fish so I want to limit interruption to my business.

Curious what you think. Thank you
                Since you already changed the oil could you not run it for a couple of hours and just check it again. You could keep monitoring it every few hours..

I don't know how hard that is for you ...do you have to haul the boat..ect.

That oil doesn't look to bad but it only takes a tiny bit of water to make it go milky. Did you use new washers on your drian and fill plugs?

You could pressure test it and if it is the prop shaft seals they are not hard to do yourself.

Any new dings on your prop or have you hit anything lately?

Comment

I always use new washers and no dings on the prop shaft.

Once the seal kit arrives at my Dealer (~mid October) , I will yank the Lower and have it serviced.
                  Grady-White 330 Express

Comment

Originally posted by SSCape16 View Post
                    I hate to Hijack your post and I don't mean to but I am new here and I can't see where I can create my own. Since this is about lower units I though I could add this, sorry I hope you don't mind. I think we are both going to have to replace the lower unit so we may need the same answer. I have a 2005 F200 V6 and I am sure my gearbox is done. I get up to 4k and it seems like the clutch slips and the engine revs way up and I lose forward motion. Anyone have a suggestion on where to get a rebuild?
                    Go to Home page and click "New Topic" and you can copy and paste your post there. It is too confusing to have different problems on the one thread.

I will say this though. Have you checked your prop for spinning on its rubber bushing? Also are you finding any metal or grey metal paste in your gear oil?

Go try and start a new thread...please.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

Go to Home page and click "New Topic" and you can copy and paste your post there. It is too confusing to have different problems on the one thread.

I will say this though. Have you checked your prop for spinning on its rubber bushing? Also are you finding any metal or grey metal paste in your gear oil?

Go try and start a new thread...please.
                      Look for this....

Comment

Originally posted by HMBJack View Post
                        I always use new washers and no dings on the prop shaft.

Once the seal kit arrives at my Dealer (~mid October) , I will yank the Lower and have it serviced.
                        Sorry HMBjack...we are posting at the same time and I am asking same questions you just answered. Like I said already..keep a very close eye on it and you should be ok IMO

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

... seals they are not hard to do yourself.
                          those damn seals have tiny springs, mostly stainless steel, if seals OEM. but they burn out anyway, and seal starts seeping water. to protect shaft, I used 0.12 mm steel foil, and two wraps made it good. I guess aluminum foil from small soda can (small soda can aluminum thinner) will do, just be careful. some used drill, but I used long sharp wood screw for pilot hole. I honestly do not know, why I am posting it, probably boredom. no need to drain oil. ALL seals: two shift shaft seals and two drive shaft seals and one propeller shaft seal. under water pump drive shaft seals in a bracket, it may be hard to remove, just gently tap on it to rotate it around.

Comment

Lol I do them the same way basically. I have some 6" long #40 drill bits and drill two holes in each seal very carefully and pull them out with two picks. Not for everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                            X