Dual Ignition Install (help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Ignition Install (help)

1985 etxk 150 2 strokes came with seperate ignition switches. The new dual switch ( 6k1-82570-12-00) has an 8 pin female connector, and 4, seperate connectors.
    If I buy a new main harness ( mine have been fooled with) will it plug in, or is there an adapter that I need? Thanks for any help - I ain't smart enough to figure this stuff out!
    Attached Files

in 85 I was programming and setting up CNC lathes and mills for GOEX in Cleburne TX. from about 88 to 93 I was setting up and repairing the mk 15 block 1 CIWS for the USN.

take it to a dealership with an old folk like me.

they can figure it out a lot faster.

look for that master tech certificate on the wall..
    preferably dated no later than march of 2009.

the harness's have made some changes from 88 to now.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I was hoping that yamaha made an adapter cable since it is not uncommon to retrofit/ modernise older boats, and motors, and since the switch is so fundamental.
      I am in the process of chasing part numbers
      to replace all the wiring in my boat. I guess the cable could be modified. There are several places on the net that make custom harnesses if I can relay to them exactly what I need - if yamaha does not provide one.
      Thanks again!

Comment

the 10 pin ign harness has not changed.
        the trim/oil and the engine to oil tank has.

in 95 Yamaha switched them from round to square, they do sell adapters.

Comment

It is definately a obstical. There is a place in Dallas TX ( Lamar Idustries ) who can make what I need if I can convey it to them - I fear that if they don't have the hardware in front of them, they might make a mistake - I am hesitant on mailing anyone my harness, ignition, ect.
          I did not research the dual ignition fit before purchase; I assumed that it was a natural upgrade.
          Thanks again for your efforts !

Comment

simply purchase two 10 pin main harness's from Yamaha.
            they go from the engine 10 pin main to the key switch pad.

then your going to need the harness between the engine and the remote oil tank.

my suggestion would be to purchase that harness, the engine to late model harness adapter and the later style(95&up) switch assy for the remote tank.

then you will need the trim/oil warning harness and the engine side harness adapter.
            all are available from any Yamaha dealer.

Comment

Thanks rodbolt17: Are you saying I can use a later model main 10 pin? My main harness (6g5-82590-01-00) is listed as obsolete/not availible?

I have original 1985 engine to oil harnesses. Are you saying I need a newer version?

Do you mean replace the emergency oil transfer switches on the motors?

My oil warning is the 3, lamp seperate instrument kind. The trim would be on the new 704 binnacle I plan to purchace. My tachometers have no warning lamps.

I am going to replace both remote tank assemblies with the newer # 6e5-21708-08-00? I don't know if it is an improved version, or if it relates to your advice.

This is very confusing to me though you have written plainly.
              Attached Files

Comment

Trying to keep the systems separated may help.

First consider the control box which you say will be a 704 dual type. This control uses a separate key switch panel. It connects to the motor via a ten pin harness. Here is what that part looks like graphically in its simplest form.

Last edited by boscoe99; 11-26-2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Connection from the motor to the remote oil tank.

If you use your existing oil tank (will have a round connector from the oil pump and the tank sensor assembly) then you don't need to do anything. Just use the existing oil harness that has round connectors at each end. One harness connector will connect to the round connector on the motor and the other harness connector will connect to the round connector on the oil tank.

Now if you buy a new style oil tank it will have a square connector. You will need a new oil harness that also has square connectors. One at each end of the harness. But you will also need an adapter harness to convert from a round connector on your motor to the square connector on the oil harness. Part number 6R3-82541-00-00.

See diagram below:

Comment

Now when it comes to gauges I would suggest you get the latest style multi-function tachometers which provide RPM, trim indication, over temperature warning visual and oil system visual status.

You will need a new harness that runs from the motor to the tachometers. You will also need an adapter harness to convert from the round connector on the motor to a square connector on the tachometer harness and the tachometer itself plus an adapter harness to convert from bullet leads on the motor to a square connector on the harness. See diagram below:

Comment

see how easy all this is??? .
                      I will second the vote on new tachs,make sure you have a 3 wire trim sender.

Comment

Great info, and diagrams!

I have already purchased new trim and warning lamps, and made all the cut outs in a new mahogany dash - so I will probably use the conventional tachs.

Thanks so much - I should be able to put part numbers to everything now!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X