Trim ram end screw stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim ram end screw stuck?

I am attempting to address a small hydraulic leak in my 2001 225VX (OX66) motor. As usual, what *seems* to be a simple job is turning out to be anything but. First, in the link below, I am replacing part numbers 17 and 18. Should I also replace 19, 20 and 21? (I would post a pic, but a limit of 19k. Really?)

https://www.simyamaha.com/parts/use-...30&category=57

While the above question is obviously relevant, the real issue that brings me here today is the fact that I can't seem to remove the trim ram end screw from the trim ram. I have the entire trim ram assembly removed from the boat. (Part #15 in the above link) However, I can't seem to get the trim ram end screw off the trim ram itself. I appears this is by design, but every video I watch and every blog I read shows people just sliding the end screw off the end of the ram and moving on to replace the seals. Mine won't come off. They appear to be clean and not pitted, gouged or rusted. Generally in pretty good shape, minus the leak. What am I missing?

are you talking about the trim cylinder end screw #16?

is the end of the ram flared from use ,so #16 will not slide off the end?

Comment

Are you saying you can't unscrew the end screw... or that you have it unscrewed but it won't slide off the ram?

If the latter, how far does it slide up the ram? Does it rotate on the ram? Is the ram currently extended or retracted?
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        are you talking about the trim cylinder end screw #16?

is the end of the ram flared from use ,so #16 will not slide off the end?
        This. (I think). The trim end screw (Part #16) unscrewed just fine. The ends of the trim ram are rounded slightly, presumably from use. That said, that has been the case with almost every trim ram I have ever seen. Are the ends of the trim rams rounded and smooth to prevent them from scoring and gouging the motor bracket?

When I attempted to slide the end screw off the ram itself, it doesn't come off the ram. The entire ram assembly (Part #15) came out of the housing. Now, I have both out and can't get either trim end screw to come off the ram. Interestingly, when the trim screw is pulled to the end of the ram, the end of the ram seats very neatly into the trim down seal with a nice little "click"...almost like its designed that way. Like the "thud" of a foot into a boot. This is why I'm reluctant to use a lot of force until I know what I'm dealing with. With my luck, I'll bugger the hell out of everything, then have someone say, "Oh...its just this little pin...or...you just slide this piece over and voila." That's why I asked, what am I missing.

If it is just wear and tear that has caused the trim rams to bulge like the disks in my back, what is the path forward. New trim assemblies cost around $170 each. X2, I'm looking at $350 by the time taxes and shipping are included. For that, I might tolerate a slow leak and just top off the reservoir once per season and call it a day. Thought?

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
          Are you saying you can't unscrew the end screw... or that you have it unscrewed but it won't slide off the ram?

If the latter, how far does it slide up the ram? Does it rotate on the ram? Is the ram currently extended or retracted?
          Hey Dennis, thanks for the response. The end screw unscrews just fine. However, the end screw will only go the the end of the trim ram, then stops. The end screw rotates around the ram just fine. As to extended/retracted, the rams were extended when I removed the end screw. I tilted the motor all the way up in order to engage the tilt stop, then back down on the tilt stop to take the weight off the tilt/trim components. After that, the trim rams were extended. Unscrewed the end screw...slid it up the ram. Got stuck at the very end of the ram and I thought, "oh...its just binding a bit". A little tug and the entire tilt ram assembly came out. Thus, in my new reality, extended versus retracted is simply a matter of there the end screw happens to be as I struggle to get it off the end of the trim ram. Happened the exact same way on both sides. I have yet to get the end screw to slide off the end of the trim ram.

Comment

Thanks for the extra detail, Dave. It should definitely slide right off. As noted above, it sounds like the end of the ram is slightly buggered up. Slide/tap/whatever the screw back down and closely inspect/feel the ram end. If you find any deformity or bulging/flaring, gently grind/sand it smooth. Then the screw end should slide right off. Emery cloth might work well for this as you can wrap it around the ram and pull it back and forth with both hands. I might start with a Dremel, though, to make quick work of the bulge/flare - then fine emery cloth to "buff" it back to smooth. Just try to focus only on the ram end - try to stay away from as much of the shaft as possible.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Wound up just replacing both trim rod assemblies. The seals alone cost $70+ and the new assemblies cost $330 total. It was worth it for peace of mind. After all...its a 20 year old motor. Probably not unreasonable price to replace a part so worn that hardened steel was deformed. The process of draining and replacing the hydraulic fluid resembled an Abbot and Costello skit, but that's a story for another thread.

Comment

Working...
              X