stuck cylinder head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck cylinder head

I have a 1992 40MJHQ 3cylinder 2 stroke I'm trying to replace the head gasket and head cover gasket. I got all the bolts loose but cant get the head to break loose. I tried a few good blows with a dead blow hammer but it seems to be realy stuck. There is no good area to pry on it like some areas have. Any ideas? thanks.

Originally posted by evinrude25 View Post
    I have a 1992 40MJHQ 3cylinder 2 stroke I'm trying to replace the head gasket and head cover gasket. I got all the bolts loose but cant get the head to break loose. I tried a few good blows with a dead blow hammer but it seems to be realy stuck. There is no good area to pry on it like some areas have. Any ideas? thanks.
    Several small hardwood wedges tapped in carefully from each side....it won't matter if you screw up the old gasket as the wedges go in and the wood won't damage the aluminum....

Comment

I would triple check that you did get all the bolts out. It shouldn't be that difficult. ..

Here's the parts fisch to compare to;

1992 40MJHQ Yamaha Outboard CRANKCASE CYLINDER Diagram and Parts
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

can you spin the motor over to see if the compression will break things loose?

Comment

Thanks for you response. Yes I'm certain I got all the bolts 1-14 it's great Yamaha numbers them. I could try cranking it over with the plugs in, then try the wood shims. Will try this weekend, Thanks again. This Yamaha forum is great-very helpful!

Comment

When you spin it over make sure nobody near or dear to you is standing behind the motor, just per chance the head blows off....but I sorta doubt it will!... Good luck and keep us posted...

Comment

The last 200, 2 stroke I worked on where we pulled the heads, as I re-call, there was some small tabs on the head .

If not, perhaps pull the thermostat, and use that opening with a piece of wood to break it loose with a BFH.. Gently first...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Should not be that hard. Need to pry one corner to angle break the seal(carefully). I doubt compression will work, but don't try to "run" the engine that will definitely work but will break the head (and maybe somebody else's as well)

Comment

Working...
                X