Changing primary fuel filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing primary fuel filter

How do you change the engines primary fuel filter water separator? Can I just unscrew it or do I have to disconnect the fuel line? Is there pressure in there? Also is there a difference between the element filter and element filter with tag? Seems like it might be the same part number. Thanks
    By the way this would be for a 2013 F70la.

Just unscrew it like an oil filter...I just dump mine and replace it, but I do replace it with a new cartridge every year or so...When I install a new one I hacksaw the old one just to see what was inside it....usually looks like new except for a few particles of dirt/dust and a few drops of water in the bottom...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
      Just unscrew it like an oil filter...I just dump mine and replace it, but I do replace it with a new cartridge every year or so...When I install a new one I hacksaw the old one just to see what was inside it....usually looks like new except for a few particles of dirt/dust and a few drops of water in the bottom...

So are all 10 micron filters the same regardless of brand? The local Marine store carries sierra and racor. I currently have a Mercury branded one that my dealer put on when he was servicing the engine.

Comment

If the cartridges/threads are the same then I'd say the filters are interchangeable, but my filter is an Attwood and I always replace it with the same manufacturers cartridge...especially since Walmart carries my new Attwood cartridges for about $8....

Comment

Originally posted by Skin diver View Post
          How do you change the engines primary fuel filter water separator? Can I just unscrew it or do I have to disconnect the fuel line? Is there pressure in there? Also is there a difference between the element filter and element filter with tag? Seems like it might be the same part number. Thanks
          By the way this would be for a 2013 F70la.
          I think your talking about the under hood, YAMAHA fuel filter. (maybe not!). If so:

2006 and Later F70LA Yamaha Outboard FUEL Diagram and Parts

Your clear housing appears to simply screw on from the parts schematic.. There's no pressure in there and you don't have to pull any fuel lines.

I'm not sure what you mean about the element with a tag and one without...??
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-18-2015, 05:22 PM.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
            I'll just dump it in a super clean basin, most of any crap in there will come out into the basin... It keeps from potentially dropping metal filings by accident and mistaking them from what the filter actually caught...

**It would would really be nice is if someone made a smaller micron fuel filter as crap under 10 passes the transom (and Yamaha filter) BUT still clogs up injectors, etc...
            Scott

Comment

Townsends yes it is the one under the hood. Part # is 6d8-ws26a-00-00. When looking online some say element filter with tag and some don't. I think the part number is the same though

Comment

Originally posted by Skin diver View Post
                Townsends yes it is the one under the hood. Part # is 6d8-ws26a-00-00. When looking online some say element filter with tag and some don't. I think the part number is the same though
                Yep, I kinda figured with your engine #.

IDK about the "tag", never heard of it.

I gather if its the same part #, either will fit. Just be gentle with that plastic cup. Its threaded and ethanol fuel(if used), tends to make it swell. And its NOT cheap to replace it.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  I think your talking about the under hood, YAMAHA fuel filter. (maybe not!). If so:

2006 and Later F70LA Yamaha Outboard FUEL Diagram and Parts

Your clear housing appears to simply screw on from the parts schematic.. There's no pressure in there and you don't have to pull any fuel lines.

I'm not sure what you mean about the element with a tag and one without...??

My question was slightly different than the OP. I was talking about the primary filter on the fuel line before the engine and before the 'under the hood filter'. Does anyone know if the filter assembly (the part you screw the cartridge) is a standard configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                    Yep, I kinda figured with your engine #.

IDK about the "tag", never heard of it.

I gather if its the same part #, either will fit. Just be gentle with that plastic cup. Its threaded and ethanol fuel(if used), tends to make it swell. And its NOT cheap to replace it.
                    Thanks again. Yes I saw the price on that plastic cup. I'm only using non ethanol gas so I hope it comes off easily. If you go to eBay and type in the part number, some on the list says with tag. Part # is the same but it's confusing.

Comment

fuel systems

If you love your motor/s.. please stay away from Attwood,Tempo,Moeller.. OEM or Serria and also "trident" is the only stuff I use.. and for many,many reasons...beside the simple fact "You get What you pay for" I can write a book about crapee fuel system parts and also some boom-boom storys that I have been told abolt..aslo OMC fichts catching fire with pics.....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by captn tj View Post
                        My question was slightly different than the OP. I was talking about the primary filter on the fuel line before the engine and before the 'under the hood filter'. Does anyone know if the filter assembly (the part you screw the cartridge) is a standard configuration?
                        They have different model #'s from the same distributor for the "same looking" filter, so I would have to say no.

You should have a part # on your current fuel filter and the new one will say if it interchanges. Obviously, thread size/pitch and where the gasket contact area is critical.

Should you not be able to read the filter for some reason, you can either bring down the old filter and / or the mount itself and find the correct filter that screws on correctly with the correct "flat" o ring seal..

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by captn tj View Post
                          I was talking about the primary filter on the fuel line before the engine and before the 'under the hood filter'. Does anyone know if the filter assembly (the part you screw the cartridge) is a standard configuration?
                          It certainly is.

And as with most "standards" - there are several!

Probably - since we're talking about Yamaha outboards here -

you would use a 10 micron filter w/ 11/16" -16 thread

but there are also similar filters with 13/16” - 18 threads

and others with 1” - 12

and elements that are 21 micron or, I believe, 2 micron

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

and elements that are 21 micron or, I believe, 2 micron
                            2 Microns????

I posted in another thread about 10 micron filters, which allow smaller particles to GET TO THE INJECTORS.

Who makes 2 micron filters and more importantly, ARE there ANY ISSUES /downsides with fuel flow (CFM) with the better filters?
                            Scott

Comment

Racor makes 2 micron spin ons but I have never noticed if one will interchange with the std Yamaha type. And I don't know if it would result in excessive restriction. Purely from an "industrial filtration " standpoint you would use both, with the 10 "in front" of the 2

Btw, as I have learned here, you would still have the "brush dust" from the hp pump to clog the injectors

Comment

Working...
                              X