Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 OX66 -died on me while running, now makes a honking noise when trying to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 OX66 -died on me while running, now makes a honking noise when trying to start?

I have a SeaPro SV2100 with a 2003 VMAX OX66 200 on it. Took the boat out fishing and it ran fine all day. On the ride home was running about 3500-4000 rpm in the channel and motor stumbled and shut down. No backfire or loud pops, just sounded like it ran out of gas (I had about 20 gallons in the tank, so that was not the problem). I checked the bulb, pumped it and it was firm. Turned the key and nothing..no starter noise, just nothing. I let it sit for a few minutes and tried again. It turned over, but made a honking noise like a goose..I immediately shut it down and used the *****ing motor to get back to the dock. Got the boat home and charged the batteries overnight and went over the engine the next day to try to figure out what happened. I checked battery voltage, pulled the plugs, ran an inspection camera down the cylinders, no visible damage to sleeves or piston heads. I turned the flywheel by hand with a breaker bar to move the pistons to see down the cylinders, no noise or squeaks at all when I did that so I thought it must just have been a gremlin. Tried to crank it over with the key and it was very slow to turn over and made the honk again. Stopped it, tried again, flywheel went a little faster, but still honks. 3rd time, heard knocking which was new, and thae honks and immediately shut it down. Haven't touched the key since. The powerhead was completely rebuilt last year with a new crank, pistons, rods, rings, Chris Carson reed valves, flow matched injectors and only has about 60 hours on it since the rebuild so I'm at a little bit of a loss on this. Just changed out the low pressure pumps at the end of July as well.

I took video of the noise when I started it the next day to see if anyone had any thoughts on what the heck is going on, and what I could do to diagnose the issue.

I can't figure out how to post more than one link to the videos, so here are the direct links to them:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ano-s3qEZdYSjjQ0...5kXHS?e=gLiXjo

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ano-s3qEZdYSjjUd...Bsxh5?e=bpM3Po

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ano-s3qEZdYSjjYY...QcOhZ?e=L8I2GM
    Last edited by Poeboy68; 09-12-2023, 10:30 PM.

something is binding up the motor.
    might drop the lower unit to see if that is what is binding things up.
    but with the noises, I have a feeling it is in the power head

Comment

Yeah, a honking noise has to caused by air - so something in the intake (highly unlikely to be anything on the exhaust side in a 2-stroke) such as reeds. Maybe it's just not turning over fast enough due to poor/old/dirty/loose power connections?

But that doesn't explain you getting "nothing..no starter noise, just nothing" when turning the key. That's electrical - and could be a totally different issue. But that brings us back to the connections.

The initial stall... check your VST tank and VST filter.
      Last edited by DennisG01; 09-13-2023, 09:59 AM.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'll try all of the above and report back. My biggest concern was the knocking in the 3rd video once the motor started turning faster. My suspicions are in the power head too, but I'll go over all that y'all recommend.

Comment

Knocking would cause a alarm for me, too. I can't listen to the video where I am right now, though.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I have a feeling it's in the power head as well. Sounds like metal on metal to me. Was it hard to bar over? Any tight spots?

Comment

It was easy and smooth when cranking with a socket wrench, no honking noise either, but that is probably because I was cranking it slow. I spoke with a mechanic yesterday as well, and he said it's probably a main bearing, from what I described to him he said the motor probably had an issue with the oiling mechanism to the crank and probably a seized bearing. Not great news but, is what it is. I won't be able to get to any of it until the weekend but will post an update with my findings.

Comment

I would ask that mechanic how it could have an oiling issue to the crank.

Comment

I think I remember Rodbolt said a few years back that lack of oil would get the bearings before pistons, but I could be wrong about what I remember.
                  could have been pistons 1st.

biggest question is what all was affected?
                  how many cylinders or bearing?

Comment

Working...
                  X