2 stroke carb rebuild dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stroke carb rebuild dilemma

I have two 1985, 150 etxk's. I need to rebuild the carbs at some point. The motors have been sitting for several years - they will sit for several more as I am in the process of totally restoring, and customizing the 25' boat they go on.
    My dilemma is that I will have the time this winter to rebuild them, but it might be better to wait?
    Usually when I have the money to tackle a project I don't have the time, and vice versa - it would be nice to utilize the time, and cross another integral proceedure off the lengthy list . Could I rebuild, and spray a light coating of something on them to preserve them in a fresh rebuild state? Should I wait until I'm ready to use the boat?
    The motors are free; they turn easily - they have been fogged.
    Thank you all!

If they were mine and they were going to sit for several more years I'd just wait until time to run them...and I'd be prone to find a Yamaha master technician to do the rebuilds especially since there may be several years of varnish and trash in the jets that may require a professional ultrasonic cleaning.....unless you just want to tackle these yourself for the fun and satisfaction....good luck!

Comment

Thanks Robert:
      Ultrasonic cleaners are relatively inexpensive, and easy to use. I've had bad luck with so called " good mechanics" not to mention I can't afford their rates. I don't pay anyone to do anything anymore that I can do myself - you get a since of accomplishment, and are intimately aware of what took place, and you just get better at it. Instead of believing in someone you don't know who wants your money - forgive the cynicism.
      I was just wondering if the carbs would degrade after rebuild if they had a light coat of Boeshield T9 or something on them? If they do, I'll wait. If they don't, I won't?

Comment

I'd think you could spray the rebuilt carbs inside and outside with some type of light machine oil and they'd just sit there and wait for the fuel at start-up...

Comment

That was my hope. My brother said that rebuilt carbs sit on the shelf until they are purchased! I think I will tackle them - they are six. The redundancy will help.
          Thanks again!

Comment

Well, good luck and you should be a Yamaha carb expert when you're all done!....there should be a carb linq and synchronization procedure that you can do later when you're ready to start motors....

Comment

Hopefully - with all the great help here, YouTube, manuals, CD's, digital cameras; and such - I will become proficient. I plan on keeping my boat til I can't fish anymore - that might be alot of rebuilds.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X