1998 s175 VISABLE SALT AT HEAD BOLT >

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 s175 VISABLE SALT AT HEAD BOLT >

1998 s 175TXRW owned last four years knowledge of the last seven , winterizing found a 1/8 inch crust of salt just around middle outside head bolt no visible signs of dripping down the block .Engine does run in saltwater and is flushed ½ hour after each use which is about 100 hours a season .Should I attempt to remove the bolt and use a sealant on a new bolt ? Mechanic friend recommended two things set torque wrench at 20 percent over and attempt to remove the bolt and seal if it doesn’t move stop and leave it . His primary recommendation is leave it alone check it occasionally next season that the salt has sealed the threads .I would love to change the head gaskets but he said your asking for problems on a twenty year old engine if it had to be done that’s different . What do you guys think ?Thanks

What do you think needs to be done?

Comment

If I new I wound not be asking ?

Comment

Not even a wild idea or best guess?

Comment

Friend was a certified Yamaha mechanic and he recommends removing bolt using a thread sealer or leaving it alone .I'm asking what is the chances of the bolt coming out to breaking ,mechanic does have his own shop . I have searched forums and found little info on this subject .

Comment

So you do not want to take the advice of a friend that is a man that is a trained Yamaha tech and has his own shop.
            So you go to the web to see what people you do not know or may not have any idea what you should try to ask them what to do

I am not a trained Yamaha tech, but I would tend to follow the advice of your friend that is someone that has delt with this before.
            Just be careful and stop if it does not want to move as he said
            Last edited by 99yam40; 11-18-2015, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Just me but I would pull the head, check the head for flatness, and install a new gasket. If a bolt(s) breaks along the way, which it/they might, then it/they can be dealt with.

Would be a good time to inspect the internals of the cylinder block and head for the presence of crud that might have built up.

Although I have been known to perform what I consider stopgap repair methods from time to time they generally come back to bite me in the ass. I may do them for myself on my own equipment but if doing the work for a customer on a paid basis I won't do them.

There are as many ways to skin cats as there are cats. Good luck with whatever you finally decide to do.

Comment

Could the bolt be loose or snapped already? Have you tried to torque or remove this bolt?

Comment

like your mechanic friend said.
                  two choices.
                  leave it alone.

start removing fasteners with the knowledge you may break some.

your money
                  your call.

Comment

Thanks , it will not be easy for me to leave this bolt along as I like things correct but as I'm getting older like this engine I have daily aches and pains so I'm going to sprinkle some Ibuprofen on the bolt for the winter layup and see if that helps .Seriously next spring I fish close to home and use the boat daily in fresh water before moving to the salt I will check the bolt often that first month to see if I see any moisture and if so then tackle the problem what ever it takes . Thanks again for you help and have a nice Thanksgiving ! Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X