Yamaha 5hp outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 5hp outboard

First time on this forum. I have a 2013 or 14 5hp Yamaha outboard. It was running fine, no problems. Last week a lot of rain, dinghy got full and the gas tank flipped over getting water in it. Someone righted the tank so I did not know. Started the engine, it ran for a bit then stopped. I realized what happened so took the engine home.
    I took off the carberator but was able to leave th file line and throttle wire attached. Emptied the bowl and pulled the 2 jets. Cleaned everything with carb spray and put back together. Put a new plug in and cleared the fuel line of fuel up past the filter to the carb. Got new gas.
    Started the engine, it started onto second pull and runs well except for idle, it stops.

Took the engine back home repeated cleaning the carb and all fuel line and needle, jets, everything. Put the engine back on the dinghy, starts on second pull. Still will not idle, it stops. I ran the dinghy for over 2 miles and at full throttle it runs smooth. Go to idle, it stops.

Any suggestions? Thanks. s/v Aloisius. Dave

clean it properly and follow the procedures in service manual concerning setting the carb

Comment

Did you physically look thru the idle jet with it out of the carb?

You must be able to see light as the jet hole is going to be very small.

Its very much like the idle jet is still clogged..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

5hp

Looked through thr jets. Nothing was blocking any of the holes. Where can I get a service manual for the carberator? Thanks

Comment

Are you located in the US?

In the "purchase parts section" above, it doesn't show a 5HP engine 2006 and above...
          Scott

Comment

Idler screw

I am in Grenada. It is a 2013 5hp. How do you know which screw on the carb is the idler screw? I have read it needs to be 1 1/2 turns out. I might need to adjust it. Thanks

Comment

Being it is a motor that was not available here in the US, we do not have any info on that motor.
              Maybe someone from a different country will see your post and help you

Or get in touch with your local Yamaha dealer to see if they can help

I will help if you post the complete model # of the motor, as we have no idea if it is a 2 or 4 stroke

Have a look at this 4 stroke 4 hp carb to see if it is close to what your carb looks like. #16 is the screw you are looking for. more that likely you did not remove this when cleaning ,so everything is not cleaned good enough
              http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...TOR/parts.html
              Last edited by 99yam40; 11-16-2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

To add to the above, (and parts fisch) parts 10 and 9 is what you should be focusing on...

They'll be in every carb, slightly different location possibly.

Re the air screw being 1.5 turns out, BEFORE ADJUSTING IT, gently turn it in and count how many turns until it lightly seats. RECORD IT. While that screw is out, clean that orifice, it may have water or something stuck in there.

Where its adjusted now, worked FINE BEFORE, it really shouldn't need adjustment now. And if so, very little...
                Scott

Comment

Sorry. It is a 2 stroke. I will get the serial number this afternoon. Thank you for the suggestions.

Comment

Went to the dinghy and adjusted the idle screw, no change. There was a guy that rode up in his dinghy and offered his assistance. Actually a mechanic at a local marine! Told him everything I did, he asked if I had emptied the fuel line from the tank to engine, I had. We started the engine, it stopped when put in idle. Adjusted the fuel mixture and idle screws to no avail. He asked if I had cleaned the "low idle chamber". This is located under a metal plate on top of the carb, below the adjusting screw for the throttle. To him it sounded like the engine was not getting fuel when idling.

Took the engine home. Took the carb off, cleaned the jets, fuel mixture needle, float needle, opened the low idle chamber. It is just a couple of cavities. That must feed the plug when idling. Sprayed everything and reassembled. Took the engine back to the dinghy and started it up. All works now. It is running a little fast at idle, although I didn't have time to adjust. Nice to have back. Hope this helps others when the outboard has issues. s/v Aloisius. Dave

Comment

So basically, the plate, part #18 in 99yam40's link?

Was there water / junk in there??
                      Scott

Comment

No water, but did look like a few particles of something was present. Can you forward me the link that you are referencing? I have looked in Yamaha and have found it. Thanks

Comment

From post #7;

2006 and Later F4MSH Yamaha Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

I guess that crap you found was clogging something to do with the idle circuit.

Thanks for the update
                          Scott

Comment

He finally said it is a 2 stroke so that link I put up is wrong as it is for a F4 which is a 4 stroke motor

Comment

From his description, it had a similar plate (not surprisingly) and that fixed it, so its really a moot point.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X