Gear oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear oil

I was just winterizing my F115xa motor. I was changing the gear oil and noticed the replacement was SAE 80W-90 with a API Service GL-5. The manual spec calls for SAE-90 GL-4 does anyone know if I can use it or not. Thanks, Rob

No, you picked up the wrong stuff. I learned on here, myself, not to use GL5 where GL4 is called for (you can probably find a few threads on this by searching).
    Last edited by DennisG01; 11-14-2015, 01:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

the GL5 is typically a synthetic oil.
      DO NOT use synthetic oil in that lower unless specifically stated in the owners/service manual.

Comment

Oh, with the help of others on this forum, like Mr. Bolt, I did find out that Merc's synthetic (Hi-Performance brand) is still a GL4. I can't comment on any other synthetic brand and would just follow his advice for that. I have very access to this stuff and use it in all of my Mercruisers, hence the reason I was hoping to use it my Yamaha.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I think that you will be just fine. Here's why.

1. The Service Manual for the F115XB specifies the use of either GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil. The SM says that the lower unit of the F115XB is shared with the use of the lower unit from the F115XA.

2. All of the bearings, seals, shims, etc. that are contained within the lower unit of the F115XA are one and the same part numbers that are used in the F115XB.

It is the types of bearings (metals actually) that are the issue when it comes to the use of GL-4 or GL-5 oil. If the bearings used in the XA model are the same as those used in the XB model (Yam parts book says they are) and if the XB service manual says that GL-5 gear oil is OK for use in the XB model (which it does), then GL-5 has to be acceptable for use in the XA model.

Yamaha is terrible about not updating their technical data. They still specify Dexron II in their latest service manuals and that stuff has not been around for years. It was replaced in 1975.

But then when a major engine maker apparently does not know (or care) enough to use the correct term for torque then what can be expected?
          Last edited by boscoe99; 11-14-2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X