F115 LU keeps turning white

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 LU keeps turning white

F115 on Ranger bass boat keeps turning whitsh every time I go out. Tryed to find short with test light but couldn't seem to find one.One trip I disconected power cables from my starting battery so nothing worked on my boat execpt *****ing motor. Fished 45 minutes, pulled motor up and lower unit turned whitish again.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Originally posted by boatinpete View Post
    F115 on Ranger bass boat keeps turning whitsh every time I go out. Tryed to find short with test light but couldn't seem to find one.One trip I disconected power cables from my starting battery so nothing worked on my boat execpt *****ing motor. Fished 45 minutes, pulled motor up and lower unit turned whitish again.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Maybe it's scared... or secretly wants to be an older Evinrude?

More info... are you saying you remove the whitish coloring (and is this on the whole engine or just the lower unit - it's not clear from your description) and it comes back? Or have you never cleaned it off? Did you run the engine at all on that trip where you pulled the cables?

Typically, a whitish coloring comes from heat - if the drive unit gets hot enough, the minerals in the water get pulled out of the liquid and stick to the drive (kinda like how you would make rock candy as a kid).

I would check your drive fluid - both for level and quality. When was it changed last? How did it look? Is this a new problem, or did it start after the last gear oil change?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Lower unit oil was changed to specs, no I did not run engine, it was simply in the water, only the metal part of the LU gets white. I did clean the LU with a LCR competitor thats cleans it off very well called Simply Awesome but it turned whitish with no power connected to battery.Its driving me nuts cause it seemed to happen out of the blue so to speak, lol.

Comment

Has it recently been painted? Sand it down , prime it and repaint with good quality Yamaha paint or equivalent.

Comment

Could this be electrolysis ? White powder aluminium oxide?
          If this the case do you have a galvanic protection on the motor? Either zinc electrode or stainless steel fed by a electrical system.

Sounds serious, check that your positive polarity from the battery is not live on your engine. Of course if your LU is inadequately painted as suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by boatinpete View Post
            Lower unit oil was changed to specs, no I did not run engine, it was simply in the water, only the metal part of the LU gets white. I did clean the LU with a LCR competitor thats cleans it off very well called Simply Awesome but it turned whitish with no power connected to battery.Its driving me nuts cause it seemed to happen out of the blue so to speak, lol.
            I would think the whole lower unit is metal, so what part of lower is this affecting.

might post a pic so we can see

Look for stray currents in water around the dock
            Under water lights or other electrical stuff

Comment

Mostlikely aluminum chloride leaching through the paint. What kind of paint is on there is crucial. Sometimes salt water or chlorides will react with the aluminum in the LU and form a deposit which will leach out through the paint. I would remove all the old paint and prime with zinc chromate and finish with a good quality automotive paint then clearcoat to specs .

Comment

What type of water are you in? Have you had other boats in this water - or do you know anyone else that boats there? Have you experienced the same thing in the past, or do other also experience it?

If you're cleaning it off with something like CLR, it kinda sounds like mineral deposits, no? Maybe, just maybe, you can simply try a good wax like Collinite #885.
                Last edited by DennisG01; 11-13-2015, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I did try Collinite. Also there was absolutly no power as both battery cables were disconected for about 45 minutes, conected cables and raised motor right away, same whitish look. Someone did suggest to repaint lower unit as a couple of you fellows suggested it also.I fish only fresh water and tow to diffrent lakes ,boat is always garaged. Is it dificult to paint lower unit as I want it to look original as factory paint.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                    Have you experienced the same thing in the past?
                    If it's a new problem, try to think back to when it started and whether there was something else done to the engine (maintenance, repair, etc) at about the same time.

Comment

I presume it is not happening to your auxiliary motor. It isn't electric by any chance?
                      We need pictures

Comment

if you suspect its electryolisis you will need the silver reference electrode and a digital multi meter to test for stray currents.
                        mine cost about 90 dollars from mercruiser.

Comment

Are the small grounding wires attached to the lower unit. I hope I'm asking this correctly. I tested all my engines grounding wires with a muti-meter when I bought my 04, 90tlrc and 1 ground wire needed cleaned.

Comment

Working...
                          X