Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 50D Strange fitting

Hello,
    Just enquiring regarding the jubilee clip; what should be there instead to stop the advance going beyond the mark. Something must be broken/missing, references online so far show a different layout on the CDI.
    Many Thanks.
    Last edited by avonsearider; 08-14-2023, 07:27 AM.

Hello, My motor 40H has a similar lay-out for the CDI. However, it is also retrofitted with a stack of washers instead of the original collar.
    find attached a page from the catalogue for a 50D engine.

part 8: Collar 90387-06M19
    part 9: bolt 97313-06025
    Attached Files

Comment

What is a jubilee clip?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        What is a jubilee clip?
        looking at the OPs pics, should that have a full retard and advance adjustable stopper in that area?
        All I see if one, not both

Comment

Looks to me like just one.

Comment

I see a hose clamp being used as a stop. It took me awhile to see it. I guess that is a jubilee clip???

Comment

Hose clamp is on the bolt with number 8 on the head in first picture

Comment

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3bGI1GdeyMdAvw

Comment

Learn something new every day...lol

Comment

so it sounds like the sleave that was supposed to be on the bolt fell apart or was lost, so they did a little rigging with what they had on hand.

I like the others post about some washers (hopefully they are the correct size to match what was there before.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                      Learn something new every day...lol
                      Metoo. Soon to be 75 years old, been involved with mechanical stuff all of my life, and had never come across that term for a clamp.

And today I finally see that it is a hose clamp.

First time for everything.

Comment

Thankyou for the replies.

I recently de-winterised the outboard after a two year rest and it was reluctant to start and run.
                        Having never been entirely convinced the engine has run correctly (evidenced by the CDI link rod) I purchased a Service Manual.
                        Once all the adjustments were made it would start then stall with wet plugs. I disconnected the advance rod from the CDI and manually advanced the timing and it would just about run.
                        The Ignition coils, Charge Coils, Lighting Coil and the Rectifier are all out of spec - the only things in spec are the Pulse Coils.
                        I have been looking at aftermarket parts (China); are they worth the saving?
                        Thanks in advance.
                        Last edited by avonsearider; 08-28-2023, 03:30 PM.

Comment

what were you taking the readings with , (proper peak voltage reading meter designed for taking these readings) and what were the readings you took, and the readings in the manual you compared them to?

were you taking peak voltages?
                          ohm readings, or something else

you saying they were all out of spec does not give us enough info to say if you are correct or not.
                          I have seen 2 different 1999 c40 CDIs go bad that when the pointer was at the mark for full retard the real timing was way off.(checked with a timing light)
                          people try their best to make the motors run, but not very good.
                          Just adjusting the linkage to make the pointer point at some marks is a basic thing, but you need to verify what the timing really is with a timing light
                          after I replaced the CDI and readjusted everything back to factory spec the motors ran well.
                          when I say everything thing, I mean the complete Link and sync of the carbs, timing, and idle speed screw and pilot screws
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 08-28-2023, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Values specified by the Service Manual:
                            Charging Coil Resistance (ohms): 297 +/- 30. Actual Value 165.2
                            Lightning Coil Resistance (ohms): 0.297 +/- 0.056 Actual Value:00.8
                            Ignition Coil Primary cylinder 1 (ohms): 0.21 +/- 0.03 Actual Value: 0.05
                            Ignition Coil Primary cylinder 2 (ohms): 0.21 +/- 0.03 Actual Value: 0.04/5
                            Ignition Coil Primary cylinder 3 (ohms): 0.21 +/- 0.03 Actual Value: 0.03/4
                            Ignition Coil Secondary cylinder 1 (k/ohms): 3.2 +/- 0.48 Actual Value: 13.75
                            Ignition Coil Secondary cylinder 2 (k/ohms): 3.2 +/- 0.48 Actual Value: 23.5
                            Ignition Coil Secondary cylinder 3 (k/ohms): 3.2 +/- 0.48 Actual Value: 11.91

All components unplugged from loom / CDI and tested in isolation.
                            Last edited by avonsearider; 08-29-2023, 08:38 AM.

Comment

is you service manual from Yamaha or and aftermarket
                              I would take peak voltage readings into and out of the CDI. Ohm reading can be strange depending on you meter and leads.

Get a meter for these CDI systems or a DVA adapter to use with a regular meter

the manual I have for a 40/50 printed in 1997 says:
                              charge coil Ohms 368 -552
                              lighting coil .56 - .84
                              ignition coil primary .18 - .24 Ohms
                              secondary 2.72 - 3.68 K ohms

Comment

Working...
                              X