Yamaha 90 4 Stroke Tilt/Trim problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 90 4 Stroke Tilt/Trim problem

My tilt/trim quit working when I'm idling but works when I am at speed. Got to dock and tilt/trim would not work at all. Do not hear pump running. Any idea what this may be?

Need to test to see what has voltage and what does not.
    If you cannot hear relay click then control side could be the problem.
    If you hear clicking then relay may have a bad connection, bad battery connections, or brushes in motor.

Because it worked only at high RPM when motor was putting out the most electrical voltage/ amps, them my bet would be bad battery cable connections

Comment

Besides the above, unplug the T&T unit itself from the harness.

The two main wires provide up and then downward travel by reversing them.

If you jump them (from the T&T) direct to a good 12 volt battery, it'll raise or lower (depending on the configuration of the wires to the battery).

If the T&T functions normally, you just ruled out the unit itself and its working properly.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

A couple of weeks ago the T&T on my C90 was acting like it didn't want to work consistently....I checked and tightened all those nuts on the relay lugs(some have plastic caps on them)....and no more problem now!.... Guess they were just a bit loose?....easy fix on my motor!

Comment

Tilt/Trim Problem

My motor was in the up position so I manually lowered it. I checked the connections and all appear tight. I decided to try it again and it raised the motor but sounded like a battery going dead and quite working again. I know I probably missed something but can't seem to find it. Thanks for all the help so far!!

Comment

As said before a bad connection is my thoughts

Comment

You really have to remove the battery connections to effectively inspect/clean/ grease/tighten them...the corrosion hides under the metal on metal connections. A 3M Scotchbrite scouring pad is very good to clean and burnish these metal tabs....

Comment

+1 ^^^^.

You can't generally see a bad connection.

Corrosion can be in between the block and the lug.

**Plug the plugs(not spark plugs), cables, inspect , clean, re-install with Dielectric grease.

Any cables with corrosion leading up inside, a dip in a solution of baking soda and water will fizzle as it eats up the green nastiness...(should be replaced).

Check for tightness of the lugs to the actual cable (give a good yank) for the battery cables.

Did you hood up the electric TRIM motor DIRECT TO A KNOWN GOOD BATTERY? The results???
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X