Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2003 300 HPDI with a problem,buy it or not!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 300 HPDI with a problem,buy it or not!?

The ecu reading say that it only has run 210 hours..

The problem is that it sometimes go in emergency program,but other times it runs great..The compression is as it are ment to bee.

They are asking 4000USD,would you be afraid to buy it???

I'd definitely want to know the cause for the "emergency operation" issue...usually temperature or oiling system....before you buy it$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
      I'd definitely want to know the cause for the "emergency operation" issue...usually temperature or oiling system....before you buy it$$$$

Thats not possible,the price is very low after Danish prices!!

Comment

Well, it's a " pig in a poke"... So you can pay your $$$ and take your chances...or walk away and seek out a similar deal...

Comment

If the hours can be confirmed to be consistent with the physical condition of the motor (does the motor look fairly new and unused), if the motor mechanically checks out to be acceptable (compression is good and it starts/idles/runs well), if the cause for the alarm can be ascertained and the problem fixed, if someone wants this particular model, and if the price is reasonable per Danish prices then why not buy it?

But always keep in mind that anything mechanical can and will fail at any time. And with the motor being used all risk of something bad happening will be the buyer's responsibility to fix.

Now two basic issues with put a Yamaha into RPM reduction mode and sound the warning horn. Low oil quantity in the main engine mounted oil tank and over temperature. A Yamaha tachometer can indicate the reason for the warning horn and reduction model.

By the way, double check the model year. Yamaha USA did not offer the VZ300/Z300 here until 2004. Production date might be 2003 but it more than likely will be a 2004 model year motor.

Per NADA the average retail value of a Z300TXRC is US$7,065.00. The price in Danmark of course would be much much higher.
          Last edited by boscoe99; 11-04-2015, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danishboater View Post
            The ecu reading say that it only has run 210 hours..

The problem is that it sometimes go in emergency program,but other times it runs great..The compression is as it are ment to bee.

They are asking 4000USD,would you be afraid to buy it???
            Are you running the engine and can you take some time to troubleshoot this?
            Are you a mechanic or mechanically inclined? Electrical troubleshooting?
            There are some tests that can isolate the problem if you have the time, skill and ability to perform the tests.

If you are running the engine and it goes into protection mode, the rpm's will drop, the horn will signal, and as boscoe99 has said, the Yamaha Tachometer will show why it is in the fault mode. A symbol on the tachometer will be flashing. It will either be a flashing a temperature (overheat) symbol that looks like a thermometer or an oil fault that looks like an oil can.
            This is what my tachometer look like on my 2000 Yamaha 150 hp two stroke engines.

I had overheat problem and was able to verify it by disconnecting the two heat switches on the heads to disable, and grounding the wires to ensure the system was working. (grounding the wire to trigger the overheat protection mode [each side individually])
            If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Guys,
              Do the 2003 300 HPDI ecu's keep squawk codes like a car does?
              It occurs to me that he was able to see the engine hours on the ecu, could the fault also be ascertained by the diagnostic computer?

I have heard tell of some software/laptop for the later model engines but I am unfamiliar with it. Mine has the blinky winky light. and I'd have to read how to even use that nowadays...
              If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Here is what he writes,its translated with Google

Yamaha outboard 300hp HPDI (Z300AETO)
                Year 2003 Model 2004
                including original circuit (2 keys) and new super flexible coatings and oil tank.
                The engine was bought by me 2014 boat. In the test drive he ran well.
                Later, problems began:
                - Initially worked to communicate with the oil tank is not, the problem was solved by means of an external relay
                - The engine was read out, he has 210 operating hours
                - The micro switch for the cylinder deactivation was renewed
                - The fuel system, bubble and so was purified
                - The computer shows no error in the trial run on
                - The compression was fine

The engine is partially good but is repeatedly made me inexplicably in the emergency function.
                I sell the motor herein as defective, to hobbyists or as spare parts donor.

The motor can be tested in the water tub. In addition, the motor can be read again like with me, if the buyer has the appropriate software. It is not possible disassembly of the engine for troubleshooting before buying. Also repair attempts before buying are not allowed.

Comment

And yes Boscoe,the engine looks almost new!!

Comment

Not very clear as to what was happening and what "repeatedly made me inexplicably in the emergency function" means.

Hard to say what was going on or what the problem could be with that info

Comment

If he is asking $4000 he will more than likely take less.

There is stuff on the motor that could be sold for more than the asking price, assuming that you can find a buyer. Lower units, trim and tilt unit, ECU's and such are in high demand here in the states and command a hefty price. How many people in Danmark are using this or a similar model and might be in need of spare parts however?

It is not rocket scientist work figuring out if the alarm is due to an oil issue or a thermal issue. Ask the owner if he has a Yamaha tachometer and if so what is he seeing on it and when is he seeing it.

Are you in need of a motor similar to this one?

Comment

Im not in need for a engine like that Boscoe..There is not many similar in DK,im interested because of the low price...A engine like that with no problems i think could cost 12.000USD here in DK.

Im thinking it must be limited what the cost would be for fixing this fail!!??

Comment

Im not in need for a engine like that Boscoe..There is not many similar in DK,im interested because of the low price...A engine like that with no problems i think could cost 12.000USD here in DK.

Im thinking it must be limited what the cost would be for fixing this fail!!??
                          Until the fault is known there is no way to hazard a guess as to what the cost for a fix might be.

I can't see either an oil system fault or an over temperature fault being all that expensive to fix. That is if you do the trouble shooting and repair yourself.

Comment

It was sold when i called....But thanks guys

Comment

It was sold when i called....But thanks guys
                              Another persons problem now, sigh. Do you feel better?

Comment

Working...
                              X