No announcement yet.

2013 F300XCA Winterizing Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I certainly don't want to hydro lock it . It sounds like he uses the same process in the video link ? I'm all ears to the process - and what and how much etc. Stor n start in the oil ? Is he talking 2 stroke ? I can bring it to the dealer that did it last yr but they did all the service and plugs which I can do - I was just trying to Save 450.00 .

Comment

I feel for you - I also suffer from bouts of OCD.
      But you need to get a grip....

Its been explained, that this is not "rocket science".

Its not science at all.

The idea is simply that its good to have some oily stuff on the engine's internal surfaces, so maybe it doesn't rust over the winter.

there's no one "right" answer

No doubt, many people do NOTHING and never have cause for regret....

And, if you do it yourself, chances are high that whatever you do, it will be with more care and attention than whatever "the dealer" did...

Comment

yes
        crank case stor-n-start.
        the us navy uses it when storing gensets and such.
        its designed as an oil additive to help protect shiny parts during long term (over 30 days) storage.

the rest is for protecting the fuel system.

modern EFI designs simply WILL NOT allow liquids to be injected down the air box.
        its why its called an AIR box.
        all it does all it was designed to do is move AIR.
        the fuel is INJECTED at the intake valve.

that's why various marine manufactures came up with a fogging SOLUTION that is to be run through the fuel system from a separate container.

Comment

Originally posted by enys5000 View Post
          Well I certainly don't want to hydro lock it . It sounds like he uses the same process in the video link ? I'm all ears to the process - and what and how much etc. Stor n start in the oil ? Is he talking 2 stroke ? I can bring it to the dealer that did it last yr but they did all the service and plugs which I can do - I was just trying to Save 450.00 .
          The video clearly says that he is addressing a four stroke single throttle body fuel injected motor. Just like your model.

He says to add one quart of Yamalube EFI Engine Storage Fogging Oil

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...-oil?b=Helmets

to two gallons of gasoline in a portable tank. Connect the fuel line from the portable tank to the motor and then run the motor for 10 - 15 minutes. When you see heavy smoke from the exhaust you are done. Although he does not say so the intent is that the motor will be run at an idle RPM.

There is more than just fogging a motor. See the following.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/def...V1_3-FINAL.pdf

Fogging a motor protects only parts of the motor. Now what Rodbolt seems to be suggesting is an additional procedure whereby stor-n-start is added to the crank case oil to help lubricate other parts of the motor that need protection. Not a bad idea.

STOR-N-START CRANKCASE
          Last edited by boscoe99; 11-06-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by enys5000 View Post
            No it is for 4 stroke crankcase oil

Comment

I surely do appreciate this forum and all of you folks that post on it. For the most part we can have different opinions without everyone getting all worked up about those differences. We have much, much more in common than we disagree upon. And disagreement does not make one person or the other wrong. There are more times than not just different ways of getting to the same end results.

Now if only the Democrats and Republicans could get along as well as we do.

Comment

yep
                lots o shiny dangly parts in that motor.
                heck the crankcase vents via both cam covers directly to the at mo sphere.
                however just under that CAMSHAFT cover are cam lobes, shims and shim buckets as well as valve springs.

all vented to the surrounding air.

that's where the crankcase stor n start comes into play.
                it leaves a film that doesn't run off like oil.

Comment

Working...
                X