Oil filter split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter split

What would cause a oil filter to split on a F250. Happened twice on a Wix and an Amsoil filter.

was something rubbing against that spot?

Comment

I might suspect those filters are not rated for the high oil pressures that some Yams output.

Comment

I would not take a chance and would only run a Yamaha filter. That's an expensive engine and would be a shame to damage it over a few dollars.

Comment

On another forum, a tech cut open about 12-15 filters including the two you mentioned. The Yamaha filter media was very impressive. I’m a cheap SOB. But I do like their filters. Including water separators. Oil? I buy what meets their grading in the operating manual.

Comment

This has been discussed, digested, chewed over and spat out dozens of times on many sites. Cheap copy filters (that are supposed to be exactly the same) and tightening filter with tools seems to be the issue. Cheap filters, coupled with high pressure is a disaster waiting for you……

Comment

Thanks for responses..not my boat but a friends..I’ll pass this on to him.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                I might suspect those filters are not rated for the high oil pressures that some Yams output.
                Just curious what kind of PSI do some of these engines produce? Never really seen an oil pressure gauge installed on a Yamaha that was rated in actual PSI., just low/med/high....

Comment

Mine runs around 50 psi on my twin F150’s

Comment

Originally posted by brian3006 View Post

Just curious what kind of PSI do some of these engines produce? Never really seen an oil pressure gauge installed on a Yamaha that was rated in actual PSI., just low/med/high....
                    F225/F250/F300 specification at 3000 RPM is 99.8 psi.

Multiply the area of the filter in inches times 99.8 psi and that is quite a force.

Comment

Wow thats alot of oil pressure!!! I am a GMC- Buick line mechanic for 48 years and the rule of thumb on GM engines is 10 psi per thousand rpm.At 3000 rpm an acceptable reading would be 30 psi when warm with the correct viscosity clean oil and correct filter.

Comment

Just a guess on my part but it seems like Yam is using high oil pressure (and high oil flow) to help keep the engine cool. In addition to freshwater cooling.

Comment

At first, I was thinking "rubbing", as well. But looking closer, there's absolutely no inidcation of a rub mark. That's definitely a split, originating from the inside. And that can only be due to pressure.

I wouldn't rule out an inferior filter - but those two are both good enough that I wouldn't think that would be the reason?

Could something else be causing higher than normal pressure? A blockage somewhere?
                          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

not sure on the Yamahas, but the old cars oil pump had pressure reliefs set to dump oil at some set pressure.
                            I would think all would have something like that

Comment

Yes they have, the oil pump is just a pump, to maintain constant pressure at all RPM requires a “pressure valve” gizmo, it maintains constant preset pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X