losing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing power

I have a 2000 c40tlry with very few hours. I originally had it mounted on a pontoon until last year when switched to a 14 ft whaler. Last summer , when I had motor in full throtle, after about 15 minutes , it lost power. After allowing it to cool , it would run fine again for a short while but lose power again. Any ideas what it might be??

teddy,
    Check the primer bulb when the motor loses power.
    If it has collapsed, then your fuel tank is not venting properly.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Ted,
      Since you did not mention anything about an alarm going off, I assumed your problem is fuel related.
      But your motor may be going into what is called rpm reduction mode due to overheat.
      I just looked up your motor in the online catalog
      for boats.net, and it has two thermo switches which monitor engine heat. The switches are designed to close at around 180 degrees f. and signal the ignition control that an overheat condition has occured. Two things are suppose to happen at this point. The alarm should immediately sound, and then about five seconds later the motor will go into rpm reduction due to ignition cut back - you motor will miss and shake pretty bad, but will not cut off.
      Now, I don't know if your motor is doing this or not. You can test the alarm by turning the ignition on and shorting out or connecting together the two wires that lead to either switch.
      The alarm should immediately sound. If not, then the alarm or related wiring is bad.
      You can also test the thermoswitches in a pan of heated water and thermometer and ohm meter. The switch contacts should close at around 180 degrees, and then re-open at around 160 degrees.
      I have personally experienced a thermo switch on my 2000 C115 malfunction and close at 130 degrees, giving me a false overheat alarm and rpm reduction .
      Now, having said all of that - if your water pump is at least three years old, I would go ahead and do a water pump repair. Also, pull the thermostat and inspect/clean/test it. It can be tested in a pan of heated water and thermometer. Should be fully open at 140 degrees f., about 0.120 inches.
      All of the above relates to my 2000 C115 - your motor should be similiar, but I recommend that you get a Yamaha manual for exact specs.
      All of the above procedures are outlined in the manual. You can order online at www.yamahapubs.com.
      Good luck, and let us know what you find out [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X