Leaking oil plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking oil plug

2008 Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke outboard engine. Recently changed the oil. Replaced drain plug with new washer. Tightened to torque specs 13 ft. lbs. Plug has slow leak.
    I drained new oil and installed another, new washer, refilled engine oil, and replaced plug, to spec. torque pounds. The plug still leaks.. The plug is not stripped.
    I have been very careful not to over tighten the plug.
    Any advise would be appreciated. Is there a better "sealer" washer available then the OEM factory ones?
    Thank You for any ideas,

I have had to retighten the drain screw on my lower unit after installing a new gasket and running the motor for a trip.
    not sure if that is also a good idea with the motor oil drain plug.
    but once you get it to seal properly, suck the oil out from then on to save you from dealing with a possible problem

Comment

Is the old washer still on there?

Try tightening a little more.

Otherwise, there may be something on the engine side that is getting in the way... dirt, for example. Although that would be strange for it to be there twice.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thank You for the replies. I will try once again to correct the problem. If all else fails, I was considering using teflon tape on the plug, and if that works, After that I would
        would syphon the oil out and leave the plug alone.
        Thanks again

Comment

Get the bolt and block super clean (let drain fully, some brake cleaner to the block threads as well).

Some Yamabond sealer around the gasket and base of the bolt and install... It won't leak after that..

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X