Help with Yamaha 150 no spark and engine identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Yamaha 150 no spark and engine identification

I recently bought a 18' Boston Whaler with a Yamaha 150 HP 2 stroke 6 Cyl motor (carbs). I was fixing some cables at the battery and by mistake shorted the + and - cables. Now it wont start (no spark at any of the cylinders). I disconnected the main plug from the engine to the rest of the boat and tried to jump start it directly from the starter solenoid to isolate the problem and still no spark, so I suspect the prob could be the CDI, Stator or Trigger. How can I test the CDI and other components? Also, the serial number plate for the motor is missing so how can I know the year, model etc of this motor to be able to order parts?

CDI is a kokusandenki CU2684, voltage reg is 6G5-A0. Its a 2 stroke with no VRO, 6 Cylinder with carbs.

Will appreciate any help

First let's gets some terms straightened out. Yamaha does not use the term VRO nor the term trigger.

Are you saying that the motor came from Yamaha without oil injection or is it that the oil injection system has been removed?

When you say that it won't start, is it cranking but not starting or is it not cranking?

A battery being connected backwards normally just blows a fuse. But might damage the Rectifier/regulator. Seldom the CDI assembly.

The CDI number you wrote is not making sense. Nor the voltage regulator. Do you perhaps have these backwards?

Have you inspected the block for a round decal with some numbers on it?

At the ten pin connector on the main engine harness is there a decal wrapped around the harness with some letters and numbers on it? If so, what are they?

In what country do you reside?

Comment

The motor cranks but won't start. There's no spark at any of the cylinders. Before I shorted the cables it was working just fine. I checked the fuses and all are fine.

I will try to upload a picture of the CDI and the voltage regulator.

It looks like it never had an oil injection system. I included this info bec maybe it helps in identifying the motor. I live in Puerto Rico and usually we get the US versions of the motors but in some ocassions people bring motors from the adjacent islands and those aren't US versions.

When I get home this afternoon will look for the round decal on the block and for the decal around the harness of the ten pin connector.

Comment

Voltage Regulator

Comment

There's no decal at the 10 pin connector and the only numbers I found on the block are 6G5-00.
          Will post some pics

Comment

How is it known that it is a 150 HP Yamaha?

Comment

Pics of the motor

Comment

Serial number plate not readable

Comment

The data plate is showing a model 200AET. Looks like someone slapped a 150 top cowl on her.

I think that I can make out 6G6 on the data plate. Which agrees with the 6G6 on the CDI assembly.

Complete engine ID appears to be 6G6 X 707628.

Best guess is that the motor is 1999 model year motor.

If you removed the intake assembly you might be able to see other markings that can confirm, or refute, what I believe to be the model.
                  Last edited by boscoe99; 07-05-2023, 02:03 PM.

Comment

He did mention a 6G5 on the block and the RR

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

A battery being connected backwards normally just blows a fuse. But might damage the Rectifier/regulator. Seldom the CDI assembly.
                      Should I start with the Rectifier / Regulator first then? How do I check it?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        He did mention a 6G5 on the block and the RR
                        Not unusual for different prefix components to be used on a different prefix block.

If you look at the data plate can you see the 200AET as the model? The fact that it is a 200 HP V6 leads me to believe it is 6G6 in the next line and not 6G5.

But there are some 200 HP 6G5 blocks so...

It is a shame IMO that folks apparently don't give a crap about taking care of their "stuff".

Comment

yep when parts start being swapped around things get very confusing.
                          as far as testing, your service manual will have procedures for testing the CDI inputs and outputs along with the RR using the proper test equipment, and will have the minimum specs that you should see.
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 07-05-2023, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks!
                            Where I can see / download the service manual?

Comment

you can buy one from Yamaha dealer, or at least find the correct part number for it and then look for that on line.
                              but you need to figure out what motor you really have 1st

Comment

Working...
                              X