Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Yamaha 20hp Outboard - Leaking water

Hello everyone!

I am having some issues with my 1991 Yamaha 20hp 2 Stroke Outboard, 6A9 017845. I replaced the water pump and removed the thermostat that was stuck closed. The tell-tale is strong and seems to be lots of water running through the engine. The motor runs and idles great. No smoking noted while running it outside in a bucket of water.

The current issue I'm having is that shortly after I start the motor, behind the engine below the head/engine, it's pouring warm-ish water and spilling out the back of the engine.

Could it be the power head gasket that sits under the engine, or the head gasket although it seems to have lots of compression when starting it and running perfectly fine.

689-45113-01 (This is the gasket that sits underneath the motor, I don't wanna have to tear it apart if you think it's something else).

I can also post a newer video of the current issue that I'm having if required!

Thanks for your help.

I’d like to see the video.

Comment

Please go back to your original post on this and stay on that post. Posting a second time only makes it frustrating for those of us who are already helping you in your original thread. It's best to keep all information in one thread - and there already is help in your other thread.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I understand that but I posted twice on that same post with no response? Making a new post creates a new opportunity for others to see and help with my new issue. Thanks.

Comment

did you do what you were told to do and report back what you found out?

Comment

I did not replace or re-tighten the head gasket bolts as the motor has lots of compression and from my understanding, how would there that much water coming out from the head without smoking or smelling fuel/oil? I know that the cooling water passes in top of the head but didn't expect that much to come out especially with the new water pump in place.

I know this is an uncommon issue that I am experiencing and no one ever responded as to what the sequence is to re-torque the head bolts as I couldn't find any accurate information online.

I honestly appreciate all the help everyone in this community/forum has done and responded for me. I'm sorry for making two posts and just want to get out on the water and start fishing again!

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceNoodz View Post
              I understand that but I posted twice on that same post with no response? Making a new post creates a new opportunity for others to see and help with my new issue. Thanks.
              There were quite a few posts on your other thread - even a second page. Some of us there had posted after you with follow up comments/questions and were waiting on your reply.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not trying to bust on you - it's just much more convenient and efficient for everyone when all of the information is one post.
              Last edited by DennisG01; 07-05-2023, 10:11 AM.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
              X