9.9 lay down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.9 lay down

Ok, Im the dummy that laid down my 9.9 the wrong way for a few minutes. Had a little oil run out, I'm guessing from the carb. Now what? The manual doesn't tell what to do if it happens.

pull the spark plugs. pull the stop lanyard. crank it over a few times. clean up the mess.
    hook up the flusher and start it.

Comment

Can you please explain the flusher. I can't find anything in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by DENNYP96 View Post
        Can you please explain the flusher. I can't find anything in the manual.

Flusher, slang for rabbit ears, lower unit flushing muffs, etc.

Its going to smoke for a little bit upon start up, re-check your oil level as well as you lost some..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJaTjMOEKP0
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

My T9.9 has the flusher hose attachment on it. I have read that i can use it insted of the muffs or with the muffs. I have not used, it untill I know what to expect. I just got this motor, got it mounted, got all the controls working, ready to start.

Comment

My T9.9 has the flusher hose attachment on it. I have read that i can use it insted of the muffs or with the muffs. I have not used, it untill I know what to expect. I just got this motor, got it mounted, got all the controls working, ready to start.
            Per yamaha, you use that flushing attachment WITHOUT RUNNING THE ENGINE. (flushing salt water out)

If your going to run it, you should use muffs so you KNOW the WATER PUMP is getting enough water..

I do both but especially the muffs as I want the thermostat to open (get to temp) and have fresh water clean that out as well...
            Scott

Comment

should water come out of the pilot hole when you first start the motor or does the thermo need to open first? this is my first water cooled motor.

Comment

should water come out of the pilot hole when you first start the motor or does the thermo need to open first? this is my first water cooled motor.
                I think your referring to the "PISSER". Once started, water will(should come out of the pisser in 2-3 seconds), definitely nothing to do with the thermostat.

If the engines (with water to the muffs) for say 5 seconds with NO water coming out of the pisser, that can either be clogged or another issue but yes, it should be pissing once the engine runs and pumps water up to the powerhead..

If you get the shop the manual for your engine, it shows the water flow "flow chart" of the cooling system.
                Scott

Comment

"I think your referring to the "PISSER". Once started, water will(should come out of the pisser in 2-3 seconds), definitely nothing to do with the thermostat."

No, he means the pilot hole from which a telltale stream of water is emitted to indicate the water pump is pushing water through the water passages.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
                    "I think your referring to the "PISSER". Once started, water will(should come out of the pisser in 2-3 seconds), definitely nothing to do with the thermostat."

No, he means the pilot hole from which a telltale stream of water is emitted to indicate the water pump is pushing water through the water passages.
                    Its the same tube(outlet), I used the slang for it..
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      Its the same tube(outlet), I used the slang for it..
                      Of course, but he used the correct name and you corrected him using the slang name. He is new, let him start out right. I never correct anyone using the slang term but we certainly should not encourage its use.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
                        Of course, but he used the correct name and you corrected him using the slang name. He is new, let him start out right. I never correct anyone using the slang term but we certainly should not encourage its use.
                        I tried to clarify the use of "Flusher" (used by RodBolt earlier).

You are correct but I suspect he learned as well using the common terms used as I went into detail.

(BTW, my ignorance, I've never used the term pilot hole for the "pisser", ever. I've also never heard it referred to as that until I looked it up in the shop manual and his post. Used it for pilot jets, etc)..
                        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-30-2015, 05:59 PM.
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

(BTW, my ignorance, I've never used the term pilot hole for the "pisser", ever. I've also never heard it referred to as that until I looked it up in the shop manual and his post. Used it for pilot jets, etc)..
                          Ahhh, point well made, now we all have learned something and that is what this is all about. I suspect lots of folks don't know the proper name and as the world turns its not important. Keep up the good contributions on this site.

Comment

I generally use the term "tell tale" which I believe is of Mercury Marine origin.

The Japanese word for piss translates to pilot.

Comment

I'm glad you guys are willing to help me out. Thanks. Went to the river today. Put in in the water, fired it up, no water out of the "pisser pilot hole"(I understand). So i have taken them apart before but not a yamaha. Four bolts, shift linkage, drive shaft, water tube. whats the best way to get it apart, should i have to pry, or will it come right apart? Impeller shouldn't be that hard. Like I said Iv'e fixed them for others but not my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X