97 Yamaha 20hp 2 stroke leaking hot water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Yamaha 20hp 2 stroke leaking hot water

Got a question, I got a 1997 20hp 2 stroke outboard and was slow going through a river at approx. 5km/h. Motor just shut down on me and couldn't crank it over. Felt really hot when I took the cover off. I was able to crank it over 1 hour or so later when it cooled but never started again. I was able to start it this morning and it's running completely fine. When in Neutral, giving throttle, there is hot water leaking from the bottom cowling, seems to be near the exhaust gasket area and leaking out the back of the cowling. The tell-tale is strong and spitting cold water. I will post a video tomorrow if needed. Any ideas or things I could check to confirm before I take the whole thing apart? Thanks.

Please clarify what "couldn't crank over" means. That term (crank) specifically refers to the engine and whether it physically turns. It is NOT about starting/not starting.

But... if you confirmed that water is exiting where it shouldn't, you pretty much answered your own question about whether or not you need to take it apart.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Sorry about that. At the time, the engine wasn't turning over like it was locked/seized.

I was able to turn the engine over without the ability to start it approx 1 hour later.

Would it be as simple as the exhaust gasket?

Thanks a lot

Comment

I feel like this might start going past my level of comfort to answer so we should wait till more knowledgeable people respond. The reason I say this is that it sounds like you got water in the cylinder(s) and that hydrolocked the engine. And then it just took some time to leak out to the point where it would turn over again. Since it ran good after you might have gotten lucky and averted damage to the engine when trying to start it while locked up. But again, let's wait to someone more experienced.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I have had an outboard seize from overheating before. Then run fine once cooled down. I am suspecting this is what happened here. Especially with you saying it was really hot feeling. I would start be verifying that you have water pumping through it. maybe look at the thermostat or water pump/impeller.

Comment

The water seems to be pumping properly through the engine but when I rev the engine up in neutral is spews out of the exhaust manifold at the bottom of the cowling.

Is there a way to upload a video to show you whats going on?

Comment

Sounds like an overheat seizure, considering your running description, water passages could have been blocked with mud/sand. Water coming out of exhaust ports is normal, if this is what it is. Yes video worth a thousand words. Meanwhile a good flushing especially down thermostat port (remove cover), a good pee stream can also mean some obstruction further up the block.
              There seems to be two threads on this.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceNoodz View Post
                The water seems to be pumping properly through the engine but when I rev the engine up in neutral is spews out of the exhaust manifold at the bottom of the cowling.

Is there a way to upload a video to show you whats going on?
                U tube and link it in maybe

no idea what spews out of the exhaust manifold at the bottom of the cowling means.
                if you cannot do a video, try a pic of the area

Comment

Twin or single carb? Model # off the transom bracket would be best.

Comment

I have the YouTube link here. And also will post a photo of the model number.
                    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Comment

that looks like it is leaking around the head gasket or head cover, the exhaust plate is on the side of the motor
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 05-27-2023, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Yammy99 is correct.. I had to watch the vid 20 something times to sea a quick shot of the exhaust cover.. For starters,, you can try breaking (loose) the head bolts very little as in 1/10 of a turn then retorque in seaquence and pray, pray, pray... BTW there is no Exhaust manifold on a two stroke. A Exhaust outer cover and sometimes a inner cover

Comment

Any chance you can show me in the right direction for the sequence of retightening the head gasket? I can't seem to find it online. Thanks so much

Comment

Hey guys, I finally got around to trying to fix the outboard. I replaced the water pump and impeller. The old impeller fins were broken. It seems to be pumping water really well now out the tell-tale. I also noticed that the thermostat was stuck closed so I removed it as well.

I am still having the same issue of warm-ish water coming out of the bottom of the engine. Could it be as simple as the lower gasket 689-45113-01 - Upper casing, it seems to be coming from the lower side on the bottom of the engine.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X