starting after winter storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting after winter storage

what is the best procedure of spring starting to do as little damage as possible ?

motor info probably makes a difference.
    But I tend to start and run my 2 stroke a couple of times a month during winter.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      motor info probably makes a difference.
      But I tend to start and run my 2 stroke a couple of times a month during winter.

Same here....
      Also for an oil injected 2 stroke that has set for an extended time, I will pull the line off at the bulb and use the bulb to fill the carbs and bulb with pre-mix....this way it gives instant lube to everything. Probably not necessary...but makes me feel better...

For the 4 strokes.....check oil - fresh fuel....back in water and start.....

Comment

It depends how long a motor has sat for without running.
        Two things happen. The oil dries off surfaces, and corrosion sets in.
        Often when a motor is rotated, those compromised surface grind a little before fresh (pressurised) oil gets there.
        Long standing motors will need hand oiling, ie oil on the bores, oil on the bearings. Hard to do that requires considerable dismantling to get to squirt oil in all places. Depending on the value of the engine, lots of oil through the spark plug hole (probably still there from winterising), rocker covers off and oil squirts. All the time slowly hand turning. Getting to the full stokes of each bore will probably do for me.
        Starting, if all able to fill (prime) the oil pump before hand, be done at minimum speed (idle) until oil reaches some pressure and circulation. Only then gradually increase speed (increases oil pressure).
        The crank bearings, underside of piston bores big and little end bearing will be compromised but hopefully able to have retained enough from last running.
        Two strokes are more forgiving.
        So

Comment

As noted, start with telling us more about what you have.

Next, how did you lay it up for the Winter? Describe your procedure.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

1995 200TXRT September boat on trailer on backyard. plugs removed squirted blue oil and rotated. lower unit oil check, removed for inside storage, water pump cover lifted, rubber vanes eased, covered with petroleum distillate. main filter emptied, boat vent hose blue tape shut, small fuel filter emptied. carb's drains opened, fuel drained, all sprayed with fluid film.

Comment

What is "blue oil"? Fogging oil?

Generally, it's not a good idea to put petroleum distallate-based things on rubber as it can severaly weaken the rubber.

That said, you're good to go. Make sure the fuel is good (did you stabilize it?). You don't need to do anything else - start 'er up.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I always do what Yamaha says to do in owners manual for 2 stroke with oil injection. Easy....Flip lever on oil pump to full oil while flushing. Goes to 50-1. DONE Good enough for ONE winter storage. Have an 88 200 that has been done that way for last 30 years. I mentioned to a guy that worked for Yamaha dealer for 10yrs and he acted like it was BS. Oh well....I guess he never looked at an owners manual.
                Last edited by BQUICK; 05-29-2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X