Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 40hp 2-stroke tach and rectifier questions

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this forum after I found it while searching for answers for some issues I'm having with my '90 yamaha 40hp 3 cylinder autolube (40HEPO). I hope some experts van help me with these.
    I recently bought this engine after it had been in storage for well over a decade. I changed the plugs, impellor, gear oil and cleaned out the carbs. It runs really well.

I aquired a yamaha analog tach (6Y5835400500 w/oil lights) which I want to hook up to this engine. When I tried to hook it up I couldn't get a tach pulse coming from neither of the two green leads coming from lighting coil. Also I noticed not any increase in voltage (on my dash mounted volt meter) when the engine is running. I know the tach is good but after having a search around the internet I found clues that possibly my rectifier is toast and this in turn could cause the problem with the tach signal. I hope any of the experts here can shed some light on this. I'm just getting started into doing repairs on my outboard but I have pretty good mechanical skills. Any help is therefore very much appreciated.

If you follow the steps in service manual for testing it should tell you to test output of RR and if not in spec then disconnect it from the lighting coil and test output the lighting coil to compare to spec in manual.
    Test with proper test equipment so you can compare to the specs given

Comment

Check the lighting coil for proper resistance, output voltage and also check that it is not shorted to ground.

If the lighting coil is failed neither the tachometer nor the rectifier will work. Junk input in means junk input out.

Comment

Working...
      X