Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 25HP water leak for weird spot

Hi,

While preparing my motor for the fishing season, I notice water coming from a spot close to the water outlet. (see video)
    www.wyzza.ca/moteur/received_175532151770194.mp4

Any idea what can cause that ?

This area has 2 screws and I'm wondering what is the name of this part.

If I remove the screws, would I be able to replace this part to stop the leakage?

Thanks

looks like the idle pressure relief port.
    it allows the exhaust gases to exit without fighting the back pressure of working its way down to the prop exhaust area while just idling
    it is normal to have some water exit there also, but I am not sure that much water is normal.

Comment

I went for a quick ride with it and it leaks also when running.
      Could it simply be a gasket issue ?
      There seems to have a rubber gasket under that piece.
      I don't want to remove it before being certain what it could be.
      Anybody know what I could find behind that part if I remove it ?

Comment

Just thinking out loud... Knowing that water always takes the path of least resistance... the engine appears to be trimmed down/in past "neutral". Try trimming it up a bit and see if the amount of water coming out of there lessens.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Just saw your second post. It looks like it comes right off with just those two screws? That's easy enough to check - no harm, no foul in doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
            Just saw your second post. It looks like it comes right off with just those two screws? That's easy enough to check - no harm, no foul in doing that.
            I did remove them, but the cover doesn't fall off, it seems stuck or glued or sealed (can't say) .
            could use the screwdriver to remove it, but that's where I stop. In case that I break or crack the seal since I don't have the replacement part.

Comment

Originally posted by wyzdrummer View Post

I did remove them, but the cover doesn't fall off, it seems stuck or glued or sealed (can't say) .
              could use the screwdriver to remove it, but that's where I stop. In case that I break or crack the seal since I don't have the replacement part.
              It sounds like it's just stuck from being on there a while. Gently pry a little at a time.

Comment

That's called a Idle relief. And is working correctly

Comment

I have the same engine and water coming out of there is normal.

Comment

thanks for the answers guys !

Comment

I agree with that it is in the normal range.
                      It really is only a small amount in ratio. The pee stream is strong, is your garden hose pressure high?
                      Is it slightly less when using it in the water? If there is a problem it will stem from some restriction past this point down to the prop.

Comment

Working...
                      X