1988 Yamaha 130hp Losing Spark/No Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Yamaha 130hp Losing Spark/No Spark

All of a sudden my 1988 130HP(130ETLG) started to lose spark and now has no spark whatsoever. I ran the boat in the yard before putting it in the water and it popped off and ran great. Took it to the ramp and wouldn't start. Got home tested for spark and got nothing. I disconnected the kill switch lanyard and it started right up and I ran it on the house for 5 minutes or so. This morning when I woke up, I went to start it, sounded like it wanted to start and now I'm getting nothing. It seems like a lot of gas is running out the bottom of the motor(see picture).

Any reason for it to run sometimes and not the other, I know it is an old motor, but it was running great a week ago,

Can the photo be made to be a bit smaller?

Comment

Weird it came out that small, no clue how to fix it either. Regardless, it's a ton of unburnt gas.....any ideas what is up?

Comment

fuel pumps leaking into crankcase or carbs over filling maybe

Comment

Two problems?
          like yam40 said, and clean and check your kill switch again properly.

Comment

Originally posted by 87yamaha115 View Post
            All of a sudden my 1988 130HP(130ETLG) started to lose spark and now has no spark whatsoever. I ran the boat in the yard before putting it in the water and it popped off and ran great. Took it to the ramp and wouldn't start. Got home tested for spark and got nothing. I disconnected the kill switch lanyard and it started right up and I ran it on the house for 5 minutes or so. This morning when I woke up, I went to start it, sounded like it wanted to start and now I'm getting nothing. It seems like a lot of gas is running out the bottom of the motor(see picture).

Any reason for it to run sometimes and not the other, I know it is an old motor, but it was running great a week ago,
            removing the kill switch lanyard is suppose to keep spark from getting to the plugs, not sure how your motor started up after you pulled it

Comment

So let me clarify on the kill switch, I didn’t remove the lanyard, I disconnected the two wires behind the ignition switch so basically it’s not there. The carbs were serviced about 4-5 months ago but I didn’t run the boat much so maybe that, but you would at least think it would pop off or try to start, the spark test showed no spark.

Comment

So let me clarify on the kill switch, I didn’t remove the lanyard, I disconnected the two wires behind the ignition switch so basically it’s not there. The carbs were serviced about 4-5 months ago but I didn’t run the boat much so maybe that, but you would at least think it would pop off or try to start, the spark test showed no spark.
                disconnecting wires from the ignition switch has nothing to do with pulling the lanyard you said you did

Comment

Stick with me here, bc I feel like I’m not getting my point across. Forget the lanyard. I disconnected the EMERGENCY SAFETY STOP TETHER SWITCH

therefore there is no kill switch, the engine ran after this was disconnected and didn’t run 24 hours later. There is no possible way that the kill switch next to the ignition has anything to do with this, so if anyone has any other recommendations, I’m all ears.

Comment

so you disconnected the wires from the kill switch, not the ignition switch.
                    you need to type what you mean a little better.

so, is there any way those wires touched ground or each other while they were disconnected keeping the motor from starting?
                    when was the last time you replaced or checked your fuel pumps?
                    debris coming from a line or pump keeping a needle from closing has nothing to do with the last time you had the carbs cleaned

Comment

So over the last three days I haven't messed with it much, but I have tried to turn it over each day with no luck. Today, after doing absolutely nothing, it popped right off and ran like it should on the hose. When I went to turn it off, I turned the key to the left and the motor kept running. Finally, after messing with it some, it turned off. I repeated that a few more times and it started and stopped as it should. Could I have a faulty ignition switch and maybe that is why I wasn't getting spark? Hopefully I typed what I meant a little better, I'm an amateur at this stuff, just want to get back on the water.

Comment

Just wild stabbing in the dark, but, perhaps you have an issue in your wiring harness with the cut out circuit wire broken/shorting?

Comment

So over the last three days I haven't messed with it much, but I have tried to turn it over each day with no luck. Today, after doing absolutely nothing, it popped right off and ran like it should on the hose. When I went to turn it off, I turned the key to the left and the motor kept running. Finally, after messing with it some, it turned off. I repeated that a few more times and it started and stopped as it should. Could I have a faulty ignition switch and maybe that is why I wasn't getting spark? Hopefully I typed what I meant a little better, I'm an amateur at this stuff, just want to get back on the water.
                          Seems to me that you found your problem...bad ignition switch. Have a look at the back of it for poor connections or it may be internal.

You can try a good contact cleaner sprayed directly into the key hole and work it back and forth many times.

Comment

https://www.amazon.ca/MG-Chemicals-C...76288332&psc=1

Comment

Deoxit D five with the red squirt tube is "hands down" the best. CAIG labs.... And very inexpensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X