15 hp stripped driveshaft splines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 hp stripped driveshaft splines

I have a 2018 15 hp two stroke. You can still get two strokes in the Caribbean. Today I was going along and suddenly it was all revs and no thrust. I don't think I hit anything. I pulled the lower unit and the top of the driveshaft was spline-less. Totally smooth with only score marks. No sign of corrosion on the non-spline part of the shaft. I imagine the crankshaft is destroyed as well. I would guess the motor has about 600 hours on it. It even has the original water pump impeller. It seems a bit early for self-destruction. Is this a rare event, manufacturing defect? As it is I am reluctant to replace it with another Yamaha. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Lew Gato; 04-30-2023, 04:22 PM.

Not normal but not unheard of.

I would hope that the driveshaft splines are designed to be weaker than the crankshaft splines. In which case the crankshaft may be just fine.

A lot of hours for a young motor. If the water pump is original that would indicate to me that the crank shaft splines and the driveshaft splines have not been cleaned and greased at least once a year, if not more often.

Comment

I couldn't find anything in the owners manual regarding greasing the drive shaft splines. It was never done on previous outboards but I will do this on the new motor.

Comment

The owners manual is for starting BBQ charcoal

Comment

Working...
        X