No announcement yet.

'93 2 stroke 25HP miss firing (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 2 stroke 25HP miss firing (I think)

Hey guys. Here we go again. Ive got a sputter--miss fire in neutral and in gear. Not to be confused with "bogging" down. When the throttle is anywhere from 1/2 to WOT and in neutral (high RPMs) I'm getting a sputter. Here is the breakdown:

**Of the 2 carbs, the top is brand new. Bottom is the older one, though it has been cleaned and had a new kit installed.
    **Fuel is fresh
    **No fuel leak between tank and carb
    **New fuel pump innards
    **New plugs
    **Fuel is getting to the cylinders (plug are a bit wet with a dark brown oily)
    **Plug gaps are correct
    **Plugs are firing with blue and orange spark
    *Both cylinders are within spec for compression

Met a small engine mechanic today while at O'Reily's auto part store. Had my engine/boat with me. We put the engine on flush and he adjusted the mix idle screw on both carbs. While on flush, engine sounded a lot better after his adjustment. Then I dropped boat in water and went for a spin. Still had the sputtering issue. He did say something about the magneto control lever located under flywheel.This is the lever that moves back and forth after DTC. After going for a spin in boat I let him know I was having the same sputtering issue. He thought it could be this magento lever.

Suggestions?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Also he mentioned it could be the ignition coils. I've had this engine only a few months so I can't tell you if the coils are original ('93).
    Jason

Comment

have you checked the timing yet?

Comment

Look at my new thread titled "Ignition Coil". Let me know what you think. My brother in law is an electrician. He's helping me later today check the entire engine compartment wiring.

Originally posted by eight_weight View Post
        have you checked the timing yet?
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        X