Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 F250 showing fewer hours on multigauge than YDS - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 F250 showing fewer hours on multigauge than YDS - why?

I'm looking at a 1 owner boat, 2006 with F250 power. The Yamaha multigauge on the console shows 150 fewer hours than does the YDS when read through a computer.

I'm told that sometimes the multigauge reads higher because owners leave their key turned on, and the multigauge reads a key in "on" position as a running motor. But this is the opposite - why would the YDS on the motor show fewer hours?

My guesses:

1. The multigauge was replaced.
    2. The multigauge was reset somehow.
    3. The multiguage has multiple settings, so you can see how many hours since some event, like an oil change or something.
    4. It's an imperfect system and it screws up on occasion.

Anyone want to share their experience with this?

Depends upon the type of multi-gauge.

If it is the digital Command Link multi-function type of gauge then it will indicate engine hours. The engines computer is telling the gauge what hours to display.

If it is the digital display conventional multi-function type of gauge then it will indicate gauge run hours. If the gauge is replaced it starts again at zero. The engines computer is not talking to this type of gauge.

I would suspect the conventional gauge is installed and has been replaced.

I would believe YDIS over any gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by mybird67 View Post
      I'm told that sometimes the multigauge reads higher because owners leave their key turned on, and the multigauge reads a key in "on" position as a running motor.
      Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      If it is the digital display conventional multi-function type of gauge then it will indicate gauge run hours. .
      I have experience only with ONE Yamaha multi-function tach -

and perhaps mine is malfunctioning...

but it only shows an increase in hours when the engine is running

NOT at "key on, engine off"

(I assume the clock runs because it is receiving a tach signal)

Comment

The multi-function tachometer clocks hours only when the key is on and the engine is running. But, they are still gauge hours, not engine hours. Move the gauge to another motor and the gauge will read the same hours. They are recorded within the gauge itself.

Other Yamaha hour meters can run when ever just the key switch is on.

Comment

So does anyone it's possible we just misread the trip hour readout for the total hour readout? That would explain why the gauge read lower than the YDIS. I'm willing to accept that we didn't notice it was giving us a trip rather than total reading.

Comment

Originally posted by mybird67 View Post
            So does anyone it's possible we just misread the trip hour readout for the total hour readout? That would explain why the gauge read lower than the YDIS. I'm willing to accept that we didn't notice it was giving us a trip rather than total reading.
            That seems possible to me.

I have NO idea what "trip hours" number is in my tach at the moment.

Maybe its been reset - maybe many times.

Comment

Working...
            X