Timing belt change snag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt change snag

Greetings fellow Yammie owners. Took my first shot at changing out the timing belt on my F300. Have a shop manual and looked at several vids. Moving the wire harness ad removing the tray went smoothly as well as lining up the timing marks on all 4 cams and the crankshaft.
    I then relieved the tensioner and removed the old belt. So far so good.
    I then put the new belt on over the crank and lined up the port side cam marks with the belt reference marks. It was off by a tooth. The same for the SB side. I then attempted to nudge the SB cam a tooth and it shifted almost a quarter turn on me. Evidently it was tension loaded and did not take much for it to move.
    Now I need to get all my timing marks back in line where they are supposed to be. I understand that you an move the crank back 60* to get all the pistons recessed into their bores to enable valve movement without damage.
    My question(s) are can I rotate the cams by hand or do I need to remove the covers and put a wrench on the camshafts themselves? I plan to remove the spark plugs to eliminate any compression.
    Does it matter which direction I rotate the cams or is the rule clockwise only? The SB exhaust cam mark is at about 5 o:clock and the intake at 11 or 12 so there is a little distance to cover.
    Please note that when I discovered that the timing was off, I stopped working right there and the crank is still at TDC.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I don't see moving a cam shaft without removing the valve cover and putting a wrench on it.

It should be evident which way the shaft turned. I would rotate it opposite of that to get it back into position.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 04-18-2023, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Too bad a tool was not used to hold the shafts into position. Something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        I don't see moving a cam shaft without removing the valve cover and putting a wrench on it.

It should be evident which way the shaft turned. I would rotate it opposite of that to get it back into position.
        Thanks for the input. I will order a set of valve cover gaskets and do it from the inside. Also a good time to check the anodes under there.

Comment

U can use the old belt wrapped 320 degrees around the cam and only back from the direction you came from

Comment

Working...
          X