Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F50 stuck in forward.

Hey all.

I'm just after some confirmation on an issue i'm having with my 2008 F50 (fwd control)

I had the boat out yesterday for the first time in a while. All was good and had covered considerable ground over about an hour of total running time (including stopping, reversing etc) when I went to shift into neutral and found the shift handle/throttle tight as I got to neutral and physically unable to go into reverse. In the neutral position, the gearbox was physically still in fwd however I was able to start the engine in this position.

This morning I have removed the lower unit and found the issue still exists (not gearbox related) and when I disconnect the linkage, the throttle moves freely through its rang of motion (not cables). In all, I narrowed the issue to something binding at the top of the "handle gear shit assembly" (#7 on diagram). After removing all I could from this area ( namely #12 and associated components), I have found the handle gear shit assembly to now be free. I did find that the ball and spring (#15 and #14) we seized in the bushing (#11).

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 11.36.50 am.png
    My questions are, is the purpose of this ball, spring and bush to engage in the notches on the handle gear shit assembly stop the gear box from jumping out of gear and, is the seized ball likely to have been my issue?

Any assistance is appreciated.
    Last edited by Ando1001; 04-12-2023, 09:57 PM.

I would think you are on the right track.
    the ball and spring are to keep the shifter in position where you left it.
    But should be easy to overcome when you want to move it.

was it corrosion that was binding it up?
    clean well and lube it to keep moisture and corrosion away when you put it back together

Comment

Thanks mate.
      Yeah, corrosion. The ball was seized protruding about halfway out. Once I got the ball out, spring was nearly non-existent.
      Given that this assembly probably has not been functioning anyway? Thoughts on leaving it out (ie refitting the bush without spring and ball? The throttle control will keep it in (or out) of gear.
      Maybe if I had a cable break, I would be wanting it to be present and functional but besides that, I can't see me missing it??

Comment

Not much trouble to replace the ball and spring and having it work the way it is supposed too. I wouldn't let it stop me from using it the way it is while waiting for the parts.

Comment

Very true, and will most likely be the route that i follow. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X