Yamaha 115 cylinder head cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 115 cylinder head cover

I couldn’t find any information when I was searching online as well as through this forum about what I noticed on one of my 115hp outboards. Ill post a picture, but the way I would describe it is near the topside of the cylinder cover there is a “wrinkled” texture ? and what kind of looks like “crazing” I’m not sure if this is a symptom of a potential problem, or maybe the casting was not that good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yep, crap casting (cooled too quickly my guess). How deep this is will determine if this component will be reliable.
    Disappointing to see, does not reflect good on manufacturer.

Comment

thanks for the reply, got in touch with the dealer and and mechanic and said he hadn’t seen one like that in a long time. But said to “just keep and eye on it”

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
      Yep, crap casting (cooled too quickly my guess). How deep this is will determine if this component will be reliable.
      Disappointing to see, does not reflect good on manufacturer.

Comment

That’s a big lump of metal.
        I love the saying : keep an eye on it.
        As if you are going to drive with the cowling off watching it with say, your left eye, and driving the boat with your right eye. You’d have to be Marty Feldman to achieve that feat.

Comment

Hah! Right well I’m still under warranty for 2 more years, they said if it starts leaking oil let them know. But I’m gonna reach out to a different dealer in the state and see what they suggest.

Comment

Have seen many castings like that. No big deal. It's just a cover.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Have seen many castings like that. No big deal. It's just a cover.
              Was hoping you’d see the post and weigh in. Thank you for the peace of mind.

Comment

I agree with Boscoe, crappy surface finish from the casting process...no worries. But it does look like crap.

Comment

Working...
                X