Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F70 Dies, Won't Start, Then Fine on the Ear Muffs . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F70 Dies, Won't Start, Then Fine on the Ear Muffs . . .

I have a 2012 F70 with 450 hrs.
    I've always been really good with maintenance, always using Yamaha parts, good gas, etc.
    I recently had the motor die while just idling, and it wouldn't re-start. The motor would turn over & fire shortly, then die. No unusual circumstances happened when this occurred, it just died at idle.
    Checked primer bulb, it was full.
    Check the connection at the engine, depressed the balls at the end & pumped the primer ball . . . no obstruction.
    I have a small racor water separating filter between the tank & motor . . . I dumped the bowl (valve on the bottom), re-primed it, and no luck.

Came in on the electric *****ing motor . . . brought it home, hooked it up to the hose/ ear muffs and it fired right up.
    Ran it for a 20-30 minutes, no problem . . . put it in neutral and rev'd it a bit, no problem. Weird.

I performed the last service 40 hrs ago . . . replaced thermostat, internal zinc anodes, NGK spark plugs, engine oil & filter, lower unit oil, full impeller kit, fuel filters both under the cowling and outside (Racor).
    I buy my gas on land and always from a Mobil gas station.
    I do usually add a little Lucas Oil Upper Cylinder Lubricant for good measure (I know, some say it's snake oil).
    My battery is a new AGM & is in good shape and fully charged.
    My fuel tank is in great shape and only holds 7 gallons, so I turn over the gas rather quickly and it doesn't get old.
    I am in CA, so I am forced to use fuel with ethanol in it unfortunately.

The motor has always been flawless. I do have a command link multi-gauge tac. and I got no warnings or alarms.
    I'm kind of stumped as to what caused the motor to die and not restart. I did check the killswitch and that didn't seem to make a difference.
    Love the motor . . . I'm just now a little concerned running the boat any distance from help . . . sometimes I'm out of cell phone / vhf range.

Any advice on things to double check would be appreciated.
    I'd rather not just start replacing things randomly.

How long had the motor been running before it died? IE" was the engine hot or at full operating temp? You say that when trying to restart, it would fire shortly...as in trying to run but not getting fuel?? or would it just crank over with nothing?

Comment

I was using the motor on and off, so it may not have been at full operating temp. , but it was def. still warm.
      I would say that I had been idling along for 3-5 minutes when it stalled.
      Water temp in the river was around 60, and the air temp around 75.
      When I attempted to start the motor it would crank and quickly fire just as normal, then run for maybe 1 or 2 seconds and die.
      It 'sounded' like it was starving for fuel.
      This did not change after squeezing the primer bulb.
      i checked the bulb itself as well as the lines and I don't see any cracks, kinks, or unusual degradation.
      A quick visual inspection under the cowling didn't show anything unusual, as well as the fuel tank.

When I got home and put the hose / muffs on, the motor fired right up on the first crank w/o squeezing the primer bulb etc.
      It ran flawlessly on the hose for the 20+ minutes I had it on. I stopped and re-started it, with no issues.
      Strange.

Comment

Never discount a possible electrical problem. If plugs were new, your ignition coils and/or leads could be faulty, have them and wiring thoroughly checked out.
        And I would never discount the possibility the alcohol added to the fuel has something to do with it - evil stuff in boats. Thorough “internal” examination such as hose deterioration resulting in fine particles past filters a possibility.

Comment

Will do. I'm going to run it this weekend and will report back.
          I will also take a closer look at the components / connections etc.
          I will report back any findings.

Comment

Something that did change from when you couldn't get it running on the water to when it was running fine on the muffs...the engine was tilted all the way up and back down again. Check where your harness and fuel line bends as the engine goes up and down.

Comment

Working...
            X