Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Yamaha C115TLRU Tilt limit?

Hi,

Is there any way to limit the maximum tilt position on a 1996 C115TLRU motor?

I ve installed a hydraulic steering kit, but when the engine is being tilted up, if tilted all the way up the steering cylinder runs into the transom and breaks it. I need to limit the amount of tilting on the up position.

There is no tilt limit kit available from Yamaha for your particular model.

Is the motor mounted as high as it might be? Sometimes raising it a bolt hole or two will prevent the problem you are experiencing.

Comment

Yes it looks like the engine is in the correct spot; not too high not too low.

Comment

The motor height might be fine now but it is sometimes possible for it to also be fine mounted a bolt hole or two further up. 99.9% of all outboard motors can be raised a bolt hole or two, in which case performance is improved. Performance oriented people raise a motor as high as they can get it until something adverse occurs. They will then generally go back down one bolt hole.

Another option would be to install a set back plate between the motor and the boat.

Another option would be to use a mercury switch in the UP circuit. You could design and fabricate your on limit switch.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          The motor height might be fine now but it is sometimes possible for it to also be fine mounted a bolt hole or two further up. 99.9% of all outboard motors can be raised a bolt hole or two, in which case performance is improved. Performance oriented people raise a motor as high as they can get it until something adverse occurs. They will then generally go back down one bolt hole.

Another option would be to install a set back plate between the motor and the boat.

Another option would be to use a mercury switch in the UP circuit. You could design and fabricate your on limit switch.
          Set back plate would complicate the problem more, I would think.

Sometimes an extra poly plate can be remove or substituted for a thinner one.

Depending on your system the bullhorns (if you got them) can be modified.

This problem is due to a lack of cooperation between boat (transom)/engine/ steering manufacturers.

Comment

I meant to say also, the engine to transom may be amenable to a wedge plate, which does not raise the engine but tilts the engine bracket to give some extra clearance. These wedges can be either way depending on your transom angle.

The extreme difficulty is in assessing or measuring (trigonometry) what is required before loosening the engine and using the trial and error method! Ask me how I know.

Comment

A manual or hydraulic jack plate would allow you to raise engine away from transom to allow for full tilt. No other way unless you raise the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan413 View Post
                A manual or hydraulic jack plate would allow you to raise engine away from transom to allow for full tilt. No other way unless you raise the engine.
                A jack plate will have to raise the engine substantially because if it is like mine sticking a further 2 inches forward of the tilt tube and rotates downwards when engine tilted up, it would bring the steering over the top of the transom! The plate has to atleast extend 6 inches rearwards and be mounted unconventionally lower to maintain original transom height. We need a picture.
                Last edited by zenoahphobic; 09-30-2015, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X