F60 tlra prime start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F60 tlra prime start.

Having some issues with this motor and starting. Runs well once it starts but have a tough time starting it even after carb cleaning. It did have water in the fuel before I got the boat so I've spent some time cleaning and changing things. As part of troubleshooting the starting issue, I have checked the prime start. They both do well when hooked to an external battery for checking but not so when hooked to the harness on the motor. They didn't move at all. I checked the harness with a digital voltmeter and I'm only getting 6 volts. I'm assuming it should be 12 and that is why they are not extending and probably the difficulty with cranking. Any ideas where to look and yes the incoming voltage to the motor is at 12.8 volts. Thanks in advance.

not sure about your f motor, but the prime start system on my 1999 C40TLRX 2 stroke extends the needle to close off the extra fuel as the motor heats up, not to add more fuel when cold starting.
    might need to rethink what the problem is.

Maybe the passages thru the prime start are plugged and not allowing the extra fuel to flow when cold

Comment

I have been reading some various posts and I believe that you are 100% correct. I was thinking that the prime start should have 12 volts without the engine running and that the need being extended would act as a choke but i was wrong. Apparently once the motor is started the prime start then gets 12 volts and the needle is extended. Well now I still have to go back to figuring out why the darn thing is so difficult to start. Going to try those passages as you suggest. Thanks

Comment

Yes the wax around the primestart plunger is only heated when the motor is actually running. it should retract the needle when cold to allow extra fuel to pass through to ais in cold starts. as the motor runs. the wax heats up and extends the plunger to close off the passages that allow the extra fuel to pass.

There are a few rubber o-ring seals and a diaphragm pump in the primestart mechanism. might be worth checking their condition.

The primestart feature seems to work pretty well...personally though, I prefer the old school choke plates over the primestart though...

Comment

Brian thanks for the feedback and I was confused and believed it to work in the opposite manner. I am going to those seals and all of the passages, got to be something there. I also prefer the old system of chokes but I guess we have what we have. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Working...
          X