Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 two stroke electrical problem - bad ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 two stroke electrical problem - bad ground?

I have two batteries, 1 starting, and one deep cycle (*****ing motor), both are rigged to a starter switch in case i ever need to switch over to the deep cycle to crank. I do also have an onboard charger, wired directly to the deep cycle. Last week I replaced the deep cycle with a new battery, hooked everything back up, plugged the charger in so i can top off the new battery, I think that I may have had the battery switch on 1 (starting battery) instead of "off" when I plugged in, then I turned the switch to "off", which is what I usually do while charging, because the charger is connected directly to the deep cycle. Splashed the boat yesterday morning turned the key, nothing, switched over to the new battery, nothing but click, click, opened up the hatch, inspected all the connections, everything was in order, I knew that I had a fully charged battery so I used jumper cables and jumped right to the starter, engine cranked right up, turned it off, used the key, nothing but the bendix spinning but not enough amps to engage it to the flywheel. The trim and tilt is very weak on either battery. I headed out under main power and then fished with the *****ing motor, instead of jumping the starter with juice, I just connected a ground (with one jumper cable) from the battery to the starter ground terminal, and it worked fined, after getting home I looked over the cables again, took them off put them back, same problem, I am thinking either the voltage regulator or the solenoid, any comments??
    thank you in advance

monkey,
    You say:
    "I just connected a ground (with one jumper cable) from the battery to the starter ground terminal, and it worked fined" -

I think you already diagnosed the problem - bad ground connection from the battery to the outboard.
    Check both ends of that heavy ground cable - if you can, solder both end connectors for the ground and 12 volt cables - will take a solder iron around 100 watts.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X