Prop spins quickly in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
    Thank you, guys. I appreciate all the responses... sarcasm and all!

This was just a new experience for me - having a prop spin so fast and never owning a large outboard (50HP and under, but also many stern drives and inboards where none of them spun like this one). The comment about the seal not sealing so well was my main concern, especially since the boat stays in the water for the season.
    Now, are you going to leave it in gear or neutral ?

There is an argument for the experts! Which scenario gives you the best outcome for any motor? Seals last longer by slow turning????

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

There is an argument for the experts! Which scenario gives you the best outcome for any motor? Seals last longer by slow turning????

You *****ing now??
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

Argghh... Don't do that to me! Don't give me another "point to ponder"!!!

But I always trim the motor up when we tie it up on the mooring. But.... what if there's a really stiff wind?
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Which creates more drag in the water or in the air when the motor is not running?

A propeller that is allowed to turn or one that is not allowed to turn.

Comment

But I always trim the motor up when we tie it up on the mooring. But.... what if there's a really stiff wind?
            With the engine trimmed up, put it in forward, turn on the ignition(don't start), and let the wind turn the prop.

This will eventually turn the crankshaft/flywheel and with the stator under it, your NOW making electricity to charge the battery.

If its really windy, plug into the grid and sell it back to the electric company.

You own personal electric windmill!
            Scott

Comment

You guys are making my head hurt!

Comment

Dennis' Electric Company (by Yamaha!)!!

I like it!!!
                Scott

Comment

Just need to figure out a good way to get an electrical cord almost 400' from the mooring to the cabin!

So much for that 'ol saying of "A hole in the water that you throw money into"!!!

Comment

Run HARD AGROUND towards the cabin??
                    Scott

Comment

Just need to figure out a good way to get an electrical cord almost 400' from the mooring to the cabin!

So much for that 'ol saying of "A hole in the water that you throw money into"!!!
                      Set up a big microwave dish and transfer it that way!

Comment

Free energy AND wireless!!! If use repeaters, can I get the energy down to my home in PA when I'm not in Maine?

.... Did we run this thread "hard aground", yet?

Comment

Free energy AND wireless!!! If use repeaters, can I get the energy down to my home in PA when I'm not in Maine?

.... Did we run this thread "hard aground", yet?
                          Yep via your phone!

I don't think you need wind or water, just start by giving it a spin because it looks like a perpetual motion machine!
                          Save your fuel and use it this way to move around

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            Which creates more drag in the water or in the air when the motor is not running?

Jokes aside, an out boarder with varied experience will readily say a stopped propellor has more drag and this fact can be put to some use.

When you tie up to a jetty that is parallel to tidal flow, one can test this by putting the engine on full lock as if driving the stern away from the jetty. In gear will move the stern away more than in neutral . Usefull in preventing rear side rubbing in a fast flowing tied.

Another use in increasing movement of boat to or away from a sandbank when fishing!

Both situations now is tied or anchored and of coarse engining not running.

The prop is offset to one side acting more with rudder drag when prop locked from turning

Leaving a boat in gear and shut off will slow you quicker. Don't admit to this because it leaves out the option of using reverse when over judging!!!
                            Last edited by zenoahphobic; 09-30-2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

No issue.

My F200 spins both in the water and on muffs. I haven't thought much about what would cause the freewheeling, I used to just sort of think it was exhaust, but now that I think about it again, I could see the drive shaft turning the prop shaft just by oil friction. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the hubs of the drive and prop gears are still pretty close together when the engine is in neutral. If you put an egg beater into a pail of honey and stirred just next to it with a powered egg beater, the unpowered egg beater is going to move around like crazy from the momentum transfer through the honey. That is what viscosity is, it's a coefficient value of how much a fluid can transfer momentum through itself. Oil has whatever value compared to honey depending on temperature and other things, but the idea is the same. At least that makes sense to me. It would be like a fan blowing on another fan.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

The one that is not allowed to turn will create more drag.

Comment

Working...
                                X