can't shift 25hp yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright.

Yamaha 25LK. Manual says 1984 though searching for parts, using the serial number, often has it show up as a 1985.

Strictly fresh water use. LU replaced (winter freezing damage) six years ago. three seasons of use. Unused for three years. Draining lower end oil looked as pure as if it had come out a Yamalube container. Replaced impeller because I knew that it had not never been done.

It may have the potential to disassemble (relatively) easily, but I want to be better informed on the minimum disassembly possible.

The well informed opinions on this site leads me to believe that I could get the shift rod reinstalled for around two hours of labor, and parts. Labor, locally, is $115.00/hour. Yamaha manual is a laundry list of seals/bearing that would have to be replaced it this goes deeply into transmission.

If I had any reason to expect that a 'professional' marine mechanic would do this capably and conscientiously I might just pay to have it done. However; that has not been my experience with boat engine mechanics. I got this motor from a friend and know it's history and it's something better gone into over a few beers than on this site. And I have my own experiences. I've been to the local dealer (identified on "Y" site as 'factory trained,") and my basement -which is a mess- is cleaner and better organized than their shop is.

If I can open this thing up, and close it, without needing a mountain of obscure tools (and I've already got more tools than most people!) I might take it on. But can I get to and do what needs to be done without the Yamaha specific tools that seem to be necessary?

This (to me) is an 'Oopps!" situation. One could be clumsy and move the shift rod without realizing it. The manual sure doesn't say, in bold type, "Under Penalty of Death Mind This Well." So I'm pretty demoralized that this is so catastrophic.

Genuinely appreciate the experience of those replying. To put this is some sort of perspective................ . While I'd rather replace this thing with a 15, and a 9.9 would be nice, a 6 would (barely) meet my needs. Not willing to spend 20% of the cost of a new four stroke OB to repair this one. So any 'solution' has to be a cost effective one.

Thanks, again.

Comment

Wrote a long reply that seems to have disappeared. Go figure.

Have Yamaha manual in front of me.

Engine is the 25 LK. Manual identifies it as a 1984. but searching for parts, using the serial number, it often shows up as a 1985.

drained oil before replacing impeller and it was ****en and pure. And the thing was running before this shift rod debacle. So problem seems to be shift rod replacement specific. LU is six years old. Three years of fresh water use. three years of disuse. The parts might have the potential for removal but with what tools and at what cost?

Would like to be better informed on scope and prospects for this before reducing it to small pieces.

Thank You

Comment

I have not done an old 25 that has a up and down shift linkage, so not much help.

But it looks like just a Oring on bearing carrier would need to be replaced if you pull the carrier and prop shaft.
        Not sure why you would need to replace all the stuff you are saying the manual says . are you sure it is a factory service manual for that year and model motor?

Maybe if you pulled the shift shaft and housing it runs through you would be able to see inside to line things back up without pulling the prop shaft and carrier

Maybe Rodbolt could conform this and if the prop shaft and carrier will come out as a unit instead of pulling then separately
        Last edited by 99yam40; 09-27-2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

lost messages

My last two replies haven't been posted. Don't know why?

A quick update is that the owners manual identifies it as a 1984 25LK. Though -in searching for parts- the serial number seems to correspond with 1985.

Comment

Refresh your page; it looks like you have posted OK.

Comment

Yep, their showing...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It is a 1985 model year motor. Refer to data at this link

Yamaha Outboard Parts

But it is really irrelevant since the 1984 and 1985 25 HP models use the exact same gear case. 1985 model motors can be produced in 1984 (you can get a 2016 automobile now in 2015) and the manuals for a 1985 model year motor would be produced in 1984. A number of Yamaha service manuals cover many different model years motors since some motors do not physically change even when produced over a number of years.

Your lament and desire not to use an outboard motor mechanic is well understood. Sad really. Sadder still is the inadequacy and insufficiency of Yamaha data.

Comment

Working...
                X