X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F100A Tilt and trim unit removal - upper rod

Hi All,

Am baffled.

I need to service the top and bottom rod mounts for the tilt and trim unit. They are old and rusty. I will put a new motor on it while it's out because that is very rusty too.

The bottom Pin is easy - undo the circlips and drift it out.........

The top pin - what ????

The end you can access (wich is the starboard side) is flush with the bracket - so no circlip here etc... obviously only comes out one way says I - no issue.
    BUT the end you can access with the circlip is up underneath the steering bracket and there is about 4 inches of space between it and the other side (inside ot the bracket) so no way can you knock it out....It's very rusty.

How do I get this one out?

My only Idea so far is get something expanding in there to push it Maybe I could righ something up with an M12 bolt - get it in there - undo the bolt so to speak and therefore push the rod our turn by turrn of the bolt?

Thanks

I've taken a few tilts out of various engines, but am having trouble picturing what's going on with yours. Can you post a few pictures from various angles?

But, usually (from my experience), you tilt the engine up onto it's tilt support levers and then you have access. Does that not work?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

can you tell us which of these motors might be the one you are talking about just to be sure.
      Yamaha - Outboard - 100HP OEM Parts | Boats.net
      I guess they are all the same, but not sure.

I just looked at my C40TLRX and there is a hole in the port bracket that lines up with the pin.
      maybe yours is also like that and you can get a punch through there to beat on the pin once you remove the c clip
      Last edited by 99yam40; 03-19-2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Hi I am sorry I did not explain it well... hopefull the pictures below will help.

I have also attached the pdf from the Yamaha parts catalogue online - it is part number 28.

I spoke to a Yamaha dealer here and they said it was an awful job the only way they ever got it out was to either tap and drill a bolt deep into it then use a slide hammer or sometimes they had to completely drill it out.

RHS underneath.jpgrhs.jpgInside Underneath.jpgBlind side.jpg
        F100A BRACKET 1.pdf

Comment

parts list.jpg

Comment

Hmmm... the part you circled in your last picture... it almost looks like that is press fit in there... any maybe you can pry/pop it out? According to the diagram, the port side is held in place with an oversized washer and screw... which lends credence to being able to pop off that cover plate to access it?
            Last edited by DennisG01; 03-20-2023, 01:47 PM.

Comment

FYI, it's hard to read that red print - I couldn't tell what you were saying there.

Comment

yea, if no hole in the bracket to beat on it from,
                then drilling and tapping the pin and slide hammer it out.

or drilling a hole where there should be one so you can get a punch thru there to hit it

Comment

Disregard the part I said above "According to the diagram"... I just realized I was looking at part #12... despite your big red arrow pointing to #28

Either way, I would try and pop out that plug - assuming that's what it is. But it sure kinda looks that way, huh?

Comment

Looks to me is the only way that is coming out is exactly what the dealer told you, drill and tap then slide hammer.
                    But from those pictures I would say that may be quite difficult as well. That pin is rust jacked in the bore...may as well be welded in. Drilling it out may be the only way it's coming out of there.

Comment

Working...
                    X