Yamaha OX66 225 hp 1997-NEED YOUR OPINION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha OX66 225 hp 1997-NEED YOUR OPINION

New to this Forum, had several boats in the past ,bought this 27 footer last may with twin yamies ox66 1997 ( 225 hp).They had about 1,100 hours and tested strong in dry land and on sea trial.
    While at the dock had a bad bilge pump and water went in the boat raised to the mid levels of the engine's cowlings.
    After issue was fixed started both engines without any trouble and went out for a long run out to the open sea for about 40 minutes. No trouble .
    Ran the engines another 20 hours and pulled the boat out.
    While doing routine maintenance we found small amount of water on the spark plugs of both lower starboard pistons of both engines. The cylinder heads of the starboard engine was removed and the pistons heads and cylinder's sleeves looked fine without any defects.
    Motors move normally with all plugs in.
    Flushed all oil from VRO and all oil hoses.
    Started both engines and they run well at the shop however I have heard all kinds of opinions from the engines are bad, the rolling bearings are bad , you need to re power, etc to run them they need to be ran and lubricated and settled down specially after several months of inaction .
    I was hoping to get at least two to three years out of these suckers but also don't want to get a piston rod out of the block .
    I am open and ready to hear your opinions specially if you are a mechanic or a boater with previous or current experience on these engines.
    Thanks in advance.

If you ran the engines for further 20 hrs then the original dumping (you said mid cowl - not sure exactly where that level of water reached) appears to have cleared any running issues.

However if you found some water in lower cylinders then I would suspect your lower seals leaking, maybe as a direct result of the water level reaching up past the seal and causing subsequent shaft rusting taking out the seals a bit.

Could also be the age of the engines (18 years), their downtimes and 1100 hrs service has added up to general wear before your incident.

Other advice therefore might be that atleast the powerheads need to come off and inspect the seal and shaft, if not a complete strip down to inspect your bearing surfaces.

Comment

Working...
    X