2021 F25 LMHC chewed up starter cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 F25 LMHC chewed up starter cord

Hi all, my near new F25 with 15hrs on the clock chewed up its starter cord when I was about 10km from the boat ramp. The motor was not running, pulled and it started but the cord didn't retract. I decided best to head back. At low rpm the cord retracted, and I thought that's good and gave the engine more rpm, then I heard a graunching noise so lowered rpm to find the cord handle falling off. Oh crap I thought. I had to get back while the motor keeps running so gave more rpm to hear a kind of scraping so had to lower rpm and put-put back. I started to run out of fuel so had to get on the plane so gave it more rpm and away I went with no noise. As it is still under warranty, I dropped it off to the agents who found the cord in about 4-5 pieces but could not find any issues so replaced the cord only which has made me lose confidence in the motor. I would have thought that they would have replaced the whole assembly. Anyone had experience with an issue like this? And with the motor running should I be able to slowly pull out the starter cord with no issues?
    Thanks in advance,

The cord should not be pulled out with the motor running.

Comment

Its a pos Yamaha.. They are crap motors.. Like it or not.... Get a Mercury

Comment

I had the same happen on my 2017 F25LMHC. It was my first start since I bought the boat used. I neglected to check the throttle was turned to idle and it ate the pull cord when it retracted. I got some good help on how to install a new pull cord on here and used a rope from the hardware store actually meant to be a pull cord. The stock one looks kind of weak. Not to say it won't get eaten again if the same thing happens.
        I beleive your engine would have come with a pull rope that wraps around the flywheel to start it. You need a hex socket wrench to get the flywheel cover off. It's very important you have those seeing as how the motor is pull start only.
        Sorry if you already know this and I don't really have an answer to your question.
        Hi, I have a 2017 Yamaha F25 tiller pull start that I bought with a boat last fall and have not used it yet. This is my first boat. This is the first year of the redesigned engine with EFI. It started and ran fine at the original owners house; nice slow idle. He ran it for 10 or 20 seconds with the hose attached to the flush

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
          Agreed, do pull out the pull cord when the engine is running, I did some tests on 2 other types of pull cord engines to confirm. I also started this engine 10 times at home with no issues and have practiced the emergency start procedure just in case. Still looking for answers though. I will definitely take more care and attention when starting. Cheers.

Comment

gergobob
            after reading your post (thanks for the link) I suspect that my motor problem was that the knotted end of the pull cord come out of its retainer on startup.

Comment

Please, is this cord installation correct? I would have expected the cord to run around the roller. The cord is rubbing on the plastic.

Comment

It seems obvious the cord should indeed go around the roller and not rub up against the plastic housing..

(they'd be no other use for that roller)..

Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  It seems obvious the cord should indeed go around the roller and not rub up against the plastic housing..

(they'd be no other use for that roller)..

I agree ,other side of roller with the cord looks best to me too

Comment

I dropped the starter assembly off at the agents today and they agreed and re-routed the cord. Cheers all.

Comment

Working...
                    X