thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermostat

Can I run my 2009 Yamaha 25ELRW 2 stroke without a thermostat. Overheat alarm goes off at hi RPM with new water pump and new thermostat. But does not go off if I take the thermostat out. Tattle tale water stream seems to be good either way.

if you have a properly operating stat and water pump, but it still sets off the overheat, then you have some blockage that causes hot areas of the motor.
    removing the stat will cause improper water flow in the motor,.
    even if the overheat alarm is not coming in, the motor will have hot and cold areas it was not designed to have

it would be a lot better to fix it properly and run with all parts in place.

did you test the overheat alarm switch to make sure it was operating in spec?
    how about the stat?

Comment

How can I check the engine temperature - Take temperature of exhaust water?- read each head temperature with an infer-red thermometer?

Comment

a 25 will only have one head,but you can check temp of the head and other parts of the motor.maybe check temp of the area that the overheat switch is located would be a good idea
        but if you pull the over temp switch and test it in a pot of water as you heat it up, you should be able to see if it operates within the spec in your service manual

Comment

I would think the temperature sensor is situated at where the heat build up is the most, or the hottest on the head of the cylinder. An infrared tester is easy to use there.
          One important point is: how warm is the water you boat in?

Comment

Working...
          X