2017 F50 stalling after prolonged idles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 F50 stalling after prolonged idles

Have a pair of 2017 F50H's on my commercial fishing catamaran.

Recently both engines have started stalling at idle after an hour or two of running.
    The nature of the boats work means the engines go through repeated cycles of cruising, then idling for 10-20 mins, then cruising again. They don't usually stall for the first hour or two. Pumping the fuel bulbs until they are rock hard, and then restarting solves the issue for another 30 mins or so, then it happens again.

The engines have separate fuel tanks, lines and external filters. I am pretty meticulous about filtering fuel.

The port engine has been doing it longer. It also had issues with bogging down at cruising revs, but I replaced the VST filter and had injectors serviced and that solved the issue. The port engine has also had a new lift pump. The starboard engine had been running perfectly until last week but now both engines are not keen on idling

Any ideas? Or if people need more info let me know. TIA

Replace your fuel lines and use Otiker hose clamps.. Do Not use worm screw hose clamps !!

Comment

Just a thought, these engines (most engines) are probably not “designed” to idle for this amount of time, and then the run not being sufficient to “wake” them up for long. Everything has a best way to run, that is proper hot operating temperature, heat build up, proper fuel flow, proper oil pressure or flow, least amount of carbon build up around valves etc.etc.
      Sometimes then several faults may need attending to. Premature aging, just like old people many things need attending to because they don’t do what they used to (exercise).
      So from a practical point of view if you can alter they way they are used may help Eg give them a good long high speed run now and again.
      If it simply comes down to gradual fuel starvation, raising the tanks, if at all possible, will relieve some of the effort of your fuel pumps, a practical thing not often thought about. Additional external fuel pumps is another possible consideration

Comment

Working...
      X